2008 Sea-doo Sportster starting sequence

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

Steve_Cay

Grounded my 2008 Sea-doo Sportster boat on some just below the surface rocks the other day. When I got it off the rocks and tried to resume, I could not get any thrust, and then engine alarms and warnings came on ... when I opened the engine hatch it looked smokey. So got towed back, before causing further damage ... figuring there would be some good repairs needed. Surprisingly the hull just has some minor gelcoat scratches, and I had to clear out a mass of weeds rooted in rocks than got sucked up, that may have simply caused the jet not to suck water and something to overheat.

But when clearing the mess, and trying to start it on the driveway, the engine would not turn. Long story short: after trying all kinds of things I noticed that if I turn the battery knob ON WHILE THE KEY IS INSERTED ... everything in the display looks fine but hitting the engine start button makes some sounds but no turnover. If I first turn the battery knob to ON, and then insert the key, works every time! (reproduced it 20 times each way) ... I never noticed this before???

Now it is logical that when you go boating, you turn on the power first, then put the boat in the water, and then put in the key when you get in the boat. But is this normal? Did anybody else notice this? Or do I have some kind of problem?

I am a bit lost. Does it crank or not, no matter the sequence used?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am a bit lost. Does it crank or not, no matter the sequence used?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sequence 1:
Insert key lanyard, turn battery knob on, hit start button: NO CRANK, just some buzzing sounds.

Sequence 2:
Turn battery knob on, Insert lanyard key, hit start button: Cranks, starts, and runs fine.

I've never tried it the first way before on by 2004 200 but it makes sense that the power should be in before you insert the key that way you are up near the controls when things power on instead of down the back. Not sure if that is a safety feature or not. I'll have to give it a go on mine and see what happens.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back