2008 Challenger vibration

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

Icrackem

I recently purchased a new 230 challenger. Still in the breakin period. Today was the second day out, and as I'm pulling a friend on a kneeboard, all of a sudden got a strange vibration. I determined it was from the right engine, and therefore went back to the dock and pulled the boat out. There was nothing visible in the intake. Once home with a flashlight, found a stick about 1 1/2 inch long, and 1/4 inch thick stuck to a blade which I was able to get out. Considering the size of the spaces in the grate, this stick was very small to cause us to cut our day short, so obviously now I am concerned about my decision to buy a jetboat. Any Comments or suggestions?

Jet boats and intakes?...

Yes, this is an issue that most of us don't like to see but it does happen. Being aware of your boating area and the amount of floating debris is important in running one of these boats. It's usually sucked up when idling because when your on plane, the speed is so fast that a stick or twig would be obliterated by impacting the impeller blade. A larger piece would be left in the water as you passed over.

In my travels, I have seen rivers that I know would not be jet boat friendly. They, along with any boat, does have limitations.

I've heard of some over in foreign countries say that wanted to put a screen on their grate because of the degree of debris in their water.....that's not feasible. The restriction would be too great to operate efficiently.

A bladed motor has it's limitations too. I know it's not a big deal anymore because of clutches, but I used to shear pins regularly. I"ve bent my props up a couple times too........here, we have bigger logs that you sometimes can't see, that an outboard would bust the foot off of if it hit it. My jet boat will slide right over it........

Yeah..........there is good and bad in everything........sorry to hear about your day cut short though. The good thing? Now, if it happens, you'll know what it is. You'll still have to haul it out. But, if you bring the tools with you, you'll be able to pop it out and drop it back in............:cheers:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back