2007 GTI SE 155 - Key Reprogram With DESS Post Replacement?

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

Reaction_Motors

Just bought a used 2007 Sea Doo GTI SE 155 from a dealership. I am relatively new to jet skis but have owned and repaired my own small boat motors for years. Ski started at the dealership but not at home. After some back-and-forth they agreed to replace the post under a 30-day dealership warranty. OK. But dealership said post replacement requires my current keys to be reprogrammed, which made me suspicious because I had read that post replacement was an easy DIY job. I have read here and elsewhere about details of how post works with MPEM. But...does a 2007 have an MPEM? Maybe the code reading function was imbedded in the post in the 2007s? I have been researching but no conclusive answer. (Shop annual says there is an MPEM, some forums say MPEM eliminated in 2007.) Just for my understanding in case of future problems, I am wondering whether I have an MPEM and whether keys really need to be reprogrammed with DESS post replacement. Also is there anything else peculiar about the 2007? Many thanks for any insight.

Just replacing the DESS post does not require to reprogram the keys. I did one last year and it was a simple process. You will have to cut a few wires but nothing complicated.

Of course I do not know your model precisely but I doubt it has something different from all other models. They all have MPEMs and they are all very similar (newer models now have a different post system).

In Canada, I paid my new post around $115 so I expect that you will find one below $100 USD. Get yourself some shrinking tubes as well to seal the wires when replacing it. The only tricky part is to remove the handlebar cover if you never did it before (hex screws on mine and a bit hard of reach) but the whole job should not take you more than one hour.

No MPEM in 2007 and newer. ECU stores the key information. Changing post has no effect on key programming on any seadoo.

No wires have to be cut. Just pull them through the steering column using another wire and black tape. Attach wire to the end and pull the old one out pulling the wire through. Attach new one to the wire and pull wire back through the other way.

Last edited:
I had to cut mine on my 2003. Could not pull the wires (I tried) and there was no connector in the part I ordered. Should have I done it otherwise? Mine looked like that: SeaDoo Safety Switch 3-Wire DESS Post 278002325 | eBay (just an example, maybe not the good part).

Could have changed on a 2007.

In 25 years doing this as a professional, I have never had problems pulling wires through a steering system. The wires were installed so that way which means they can be removed that way. Did you remove the connector first?

Chester

If there was a connector to detach inside the ski, the answer is no. I didn't I tried pulling gently but nothing was moving inside the engine compartment and since my replacement part was bare wires, where would I have connected them? On one of these connectors that you squeeze with pliers? I had one like that (out of the bunch). When I bought the replacement, I expected connectors but there weren't any. Was I missing a part?

I did that last year and checked on it a few weeks ago and everything was dry and clean. I guess if the ski would constantly be flipped over in the water that this could pose a problem in the long term.

Here's what your gti wiring looks like. #2 is the connector and #3 is the terminals you need to use.

Chester

Attachments

• DESS post.gif
    DESS post.gif
    36.5 KB · Views: 41
OK, I see now.

What would be the distance between the 8->10 and the connector itself? All I had was an extra 20 inches of wiring. Unless the connector would be in the steering column, I could have never reached it in the engine bay. And actually, I may have to replace it again because I suspect it is defective... unless it is the key. I have to water test that too.

I may be in the same boat as the OP.

Thanks for the additional responses ski-d00 and Chester. Seems like the DESS post is the least reliable part out of the three components: post, key and ECU/MPEM. Good thing the post is easy to replace. As noted earlier, the dealership is supposed to be doing the replacement under warranty. Going to pick it up this week and will hopefully not find any cut wires.

Looking forward to owning, operating, and working on this ski.

I have a 07 Seadoo Wake 155. Mine will beep and start sometimes and sometimes it will not. Hope to chase this rabbit sometime this week along with reverse plastic nut broken.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back