2007 challenger 180 sputter with full throttle

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

Demondw3

My battery indicated 12v low but I figured if I run it for a few laps it would charge up for me. It worked for me last year figured it would work again. It started to ease up to full throttle and it started to sputter. Rpms would not go about 5K and speed 10-12mph. It sat all winter with maybe 2-4 gallons of gas in it I am not sure how much when low fuel is indicated. I beached it and then it did not want to start at all I was towed back and once I got home it cranked up no problem. I only have 4hrs on it and have never had this problem with it. Could it be do to the 12v low indication? Old gas still in the lines? Or should I just let the dealer troubleshoot it?

Thanks
Demond

You said that after you beached it that it did not want to start at all. That sounds to me like it was cranking over but not starting? If it was cranking over then you have enough juice in the battery to power the starter motor and hence the battery is probably fine. If you repeatly run batteries all the way to dead then recharge you will shorten the life but doing it once or twice usually isn't fatal. My experiance with new batteries (the last 10 years or so) is they are fine then they are dead. Once that happens it doesn't matter if you recharge them they will continue to die.

It sounds like your problem may be bad fuel. If it sat all winter without staybil then the fuel has gelled. Depending on how badly it gelled you may have to take it in and get the injectors cleaned out. You can try filling it up with fresh fuel and see if that fixes the problem.

In the future I recommend removing the battery for the winter and putting a trickle charger on it. (do not sit it on the concreted floor though). Also you HAVE to add staybil to the fuel before the winter.

Another possibility is your plugs are fouled. I suspect that's not the problem but you should be replacing them every spring anyway. Have you had the boat in for spring service?

You said that after you beached it that it did not want to start at all. That sounds to me like it was cranking over but not starting? If it was cranking over then you have enough juice in the battery to power the starter motor and hence the battery is probably fine. If you repeatly run batteries all the way to dead then recharge you will shorten the life but doing it once or twice usually isn't fatal. My experiance with new batteries (the last 10 years or so) is they are fine then they are dead. Once that happens it doesn't matter if you recharge them they will continue to die.

It sounds like your problem may be bad fuel. If it sat all winter without staybil then the fuel has gelled. Depending on how badly it gelled you may have to take it in and get the injectors cleaned out. You can try filling it up with fresh fuel and see if that fixes the problem.

In the future I recommend removing the battery for the winter and putting a trickle charger on it. (do not sit it on the concreted floor though). Also you HAVE to add staybil to the fuel before the winter.

Another possibility is your plugs are fouled. I suspect that's not the problem but you should be replacing them every spring anyway. Have you had the boat in for spring service?

Plugs are good I checked them yesterday. When I was beached it did not crank/turn over. I hit the button and nothing happened. Once home it started fine but idles rough 1.4k-2.2k almost like it was stalling but catching again. I can not remember if I put the stabil I did put some in when I filled it up a week ago though even though it was too late. I have an appt to have it looked and wednesday and hopefully up and running by this weekend or next.

Thanks
Demond

Plugs are good I checked them yesterday. When I was beached it did not crank/turn over. I hit the button and nothing happened. Once home it started fine but idles rough 1.4k-2.2k almost like it was stalling but catching again. I can not remember if I put the stabil I did put some in when I filled it up a week ago though even though it was too late. I have an appt to have it looked and wednesday and hopefully up and running by this weekend or next.

Thanks
Demond

Sounds like its probably bad fuel. Hmm doesn't make sense why it wouldn't even crank over then did start up later though. Best bet just take it in. Esp. sinse its still under warranty :)

Sounds like its probably bad fuel. Hmm doesn't make sense why it wouldn't even crank over then did start up later though. Best bet just take it in. Esp. sinse its still under warranty :)

I found the dess post to be a little loose but not sure how much it really affected anything. I will definately keep the battery charged from now on though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back