2007 180C 215HP (125hrs): Oil Pressure light and P1520, limp home...advice...

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

Carboncow

OK, a bit scared on this one but after checking engine I saw I was not dumping oil into any visible area. Dipstick is wet too. Got the boat back to port via slow limp mode as I was afraid to shut off engine and restart. Back at port engine restarted, code cleared and took her for a spin.

First time I saw the code we had been running the bay for 45 minutes.

After the reset I rand it for another 20+...ran perfect. Slowed to idle a couple of times and on the 3rd run I threw the code, loud beep and limp home again.

So fairly inconsistent. Going to change oil tomorrow at dock just to get fresh in there and have a look at it's condition.

1. Would it be fair to assume a sensor is at work here? My experience is they tend to fail or not and stay that way but maybe the pressure range is just off?
2. Are there two sensor or one...see posts on 4 techs claiming both?
3. Can someone give me a big hint on the location around the oil filler?

or...

I know it's a cheap part and the do fail but as many of us know we shouldn't just throw parts at things...or should we on this one?

Or should I preform some type of actual oil pressure test under way and if so anyone got a good write up? This seems it could be a pain todo w/o some help.

Any advice on this project would be helpful.

I'm not totally sure but think this is the code I had, I know it was oil pressure related on one of my engines in my 2010 210 Challenger. It too would go to limp home mode. I replaced the sending unit and still had the code randomly and fairly inconsistent as you mentioned.

I checked oil pressure with a test guage I also tested the wire from the sending unit to the computer all were good. I did some research online and then found both my engines were way over filled with oil. I changed the oil and refilled to Sea Doos recommendation and I have never had the code again. I am certain mine were related to the over filled oil reservoir as we have been code free for 15 hours.

Just my experience!

Last edited by a moderator:
A little update. Didn't change oil yet (oil sucker was not avaialblle) so I'll wait till later then week.

I checked oil and it looks normal (no water/froam) but it's at the higher level on the stick while 100% cold. I'm reading some other forums stating that high pressure (from to much oil) can set this off too) but I've been running boat all spring/summer with no issues if it was high...but water ingress could raise level.

At the moment I'm leaning toward sender issues but any help on diagrams and confirmation on how many sensors there are would be helpful...and as always a part number!

I had the same problem with mine! i checked everything including oil pressure! changed the switch and good to go! switch is under 30 bucks

I had the same problem with mine! i checked everything including oil pressure! changed the switch and good to go! switch is under 30 bucks

Great intel...a few questions...

1. Once it failed the first time...did it fail every time after you reached 3500+ RPM or
2. Was it very intermittent?

After the first time it would happen intermittent !i have read the oil pressure switch were a common problem! i checked the oil pressure and it was good,so ordered a new switch and all has been good since! the switch is a little hard to replace,its under the throttle body, just hard to see!

After the first time it would happen intermittent !i have read the oil pressure switch were a common problem! i checked the oil pressure and it was good,so ordered a new switch and all has been good since! the switch is a little hard to replace,its under the throttle body, just hard to see!

Thanks. That helps as my experience with most car sensors is once they fail it's not intermittent...they work or they don't. My symptoms are much like yours and I didn't want to over complicate this by having to attach a pressure reader and try to view it while running the boat...so hoped to just replace sensor and be done. Looks like I can have that throttle body off in about 5 minutes. I rebuilt my own SC and know it's all pretty easy to get at down there once you get stuff out of the way.

Thanks again.

Thanks. That helps as my experience with most car sensors is once they fail it's not intermittent...they work or they don't. My symptoms are much like yours and I didn't want to over complicate this by having to attach a pressure reader and try to view it while running the boat...so hoped to just replace sensor and be done. Looks like I can have that throttle body off in about 5 minutes. I rebuilt my own SC and know it's all pretty easy to get at down there once you get stuff out of the way.

Thanks again.
yes I think your take on it sounds right. if its intermittent I always assume its a loose connection.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back