2006 Seadoo sportster 155 will not restart in water

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

raybo3084

Hello, any help please. I have a 2006 sportster 155 4 tech . Starts great on the trailer. No codes or check engine light.once I put it in the water I may have a few times that it will start up. If it does not I have to continue to turn the engine over till 5 min later it may start up.
Battery good
New fuel
Plugs are nex
Starter beeps 2.times .?

Engine comp #1. 155
#2 159 and 3rd is 149

If anyone has ideas please help...

when you try to start it in the water initially and it doesn't start are the plugs wet? if you do get it to start how does it idle? does it seem to crank over as fast in the water as it does out of the water?

Yes once it does start it is fine. Runs just fine. idle is good. Turns over at the same speed in water as out of the water..

how often does this happen? is it only when you first put it in the water or does it happen when you are trying to start after sitting for a while on the water? have you pulled the plugs out after failing to start to see what they look like?

After sitting in the water for awhile. At the boat dock it starts just fine. If I turn it off and start it right back up it’s fine. Just after going for a swim or sitting at the beach it will take 3 or 4 min to start. Like a flooded dirt bike. Pulled plugs at home but not on the water..plugs look fine at home..

I am worried about the back piston compression at 148-149. It’s a bit lower then the rest. 155 and 159 in the others.

you would need to pull the plugs when it is not starting for you, that would show you if you have a wet plug/s what you would need to identify is if the plugs are wet with fuel or water, plugs wet with water you will typically find water droplets on the plug, fuel will typically make the whole surface of the end of the plug wet. if they are wet with fuel it could be because of a leaking injector or intermittent issue with a ignition coil, typically if that was the case it would usually still start but run rough until it cleared, the chances of having two injectors or ignition coils having issues at the same time are very slim. if it was water then you need to start looking at your exhaust system, it is cooled by lake water that is circulated through the water jacket in the manifold and then injected into the goose neck that goes into the muffler, once the manifold starts to leak you can end up in that situation. there are other posts on this site that talk about it.

yes the compression is a little low but I don't think that is causing any issues for you, keep an eye on your compression from time to time and see if it is changing, if it is you may have to do something about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back