2006 gtx sc/ic seized

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

joe07

I just subscribed to this forum today and overall new to the Seadoo wrenching world I am a car/truck mechanic by trade and have rebuilt tons of engines for them. I have also done motorcycle engine/transmission rebuilds. Ill start off by thanking everyone for their help and patients with this noob to the Seadoo world.
I recently bought 2 skis and a trailer as a package deal a (2005 3d, and a 2006 4-tech sc/ic)
The 3d runs great the 4-tech had water in the oil (could not find out whole story as to why?) but it did run so I changed oil about 6 times(running it between with no filter) after that oil looked good ran good and sounded good on trailer so I took it to the lake this weekend got it off the trailer and up to 40 at wot it started to bog headed back to trailer and barely floated it back to ramp ad it died and wont restart (I assume engine is seized)
I am wanting to know everything I should do while I have engine out (rebuild sc, replace timing chain ect)
I only have about 600 in ski so don't really want to spend 3k on an engine so would like to do as much as possible myself
So im wanting as much info on a complete rebuild/upgrade as cost effective as possible

are you certain that the motor is done?? take off the supercharger intake hose and try to spin the supercharger wheel by hand.. if its tough to spin then you didn't loose the charger.. if it spins freely then I would start looking towards your rebuild options.. how many hours are on the machine? there might be some other plausible fixes that are much cheaper then a complete rebuild if you don't need one.

the engine started to bogg down and eventually died I assumed from bearings locking up... ill check charger tonight. the ski only has 89 hrs on it but I don't know how long it sat with water in crankcase and throughout oiling system...

I just subscribed to this forum today and overall new to the Seadoo wrenching world I am a car/truck mechanic by trade and have rebuilt tons of engines for them. I have also done motorcycle engine/transmission rebuilds. Ill start off by thanking everyone for their help and patients with this noob to the Seadoo world.
I recently bought 2 skis and a trailer as a package deal a (2005 3d, and a 2006 4-tech sc/ic)
The 3d runs great the 4-tech had water in the oil (could not find out whole story as to why?) but it did run so I changed oil about 6 times(running it between with no filter) after that oil looked good ran good and sounded good on trailer so I took it to the lake this weekend got it off the trailer and up to 40 at wot it started to bog headed back to trailer and barely floated it back to ramp ad it died and wont restart (I assume engine is seized)
I am wanting to know everything I should do while I have engine out (rebuild sc, replace timing chain ect)
I only have about 600 in ski so don't really want to spend 3k on an engine so would like to do as much as possible myself
So im wanting as much info on a complete rebuild/upgrade as cost effective as possible

Please describe your oil changing procedure. Did you check the sc before you fired it up..at any time?

Last edited by a moderator:
ran it with hose on it for about 5 min each time after initial oil change using Castrol 10-40 until engine got warm and vacuumed it out through dipstick tube leaving filter out until the last oil change and I never touched charger could it just be a seized charger?

ran it with hose on it for about 5 min each time after initial oil change using Castrol 10-40 until engine got warm and vacuumed it out through dipstick tube leaving filter out until the last oil change and I never touched charger could it just be a seized charger?

When the chargers in these skis go... The ceramic washers break apart and fall into the motor, basically taking out everything in its path.. If the supercharger touched down your 99% certain to have to do a complete motor rebuild.. A new block could be upwards of 3300-4000 alone..

it didn't go all at once it just seemed to bog down and go slower and slower until it stopped and wouldn't restart...
ef the engine/charger is toast what is the best place to buy rebuild parts? Can you buy any kind of complete rebuild kit if crank, block, and head are still ok? do local machine shopps bore these engines? and do they turn cranks? sorry for all the questions like I said im new and just wanting to see if it makes sense to rebuild or park out I don't want to get 3500 in a 2500 ski...

For starters...no more than a coupla min on the hose. reason being...exhaust is the only thing being cooled by the hose...not the plate....ect.

Second thing....and it's a biggy...

When an sc's washers go they sometimes break and enter the motor. Sometimes the screens pick the parts up...sometimes not. When they don't...you being a mechanic know what happens to small ceramic or metal chunks floating around inside a live motor. Having never had that ski to 8K+ rpm...I can't tell you why you didn't get there...but that is one possibility...heh.

A bearing in the sc letting go is also a possibility. When that happens the wheel...sometimes spinning in excess of 40K rpm will lose alignment with the shaft and then touch the housing. when that happens a cloud of aluminum dust is sent straight to the tb then ic and motor. if it's bad enough...it'll get hot then stop the motor.

You mentioned water in oil when you first got the ski...but not how it got there. That motor being hydro-locked at some point should have been a worry from the start. The fact no info on how that water got in would have had flags flying all over the place for me. Blown inter-cooler is a possibility. have you checked the oil since you struggled it back to the ramp? You never mentioned what kind of oil you ended up using for a finish. Hopefully it was wet clutch compatible...I use 10W40 4 stroke motorcycle oil...otherwise...your sc ain't gonna like regular oil.

first things first. with motor off remove air intake form sc and try to spin the blades with your finger tip. it should move maybe an 1/8". second...check oil.

you say it wouldn't restart after bogging down...did it crank?

Yes i was aware from start that I would most likely be in for a long costly repair but having around 600 into ski figured i couldnt go too far wrong (i fugured tear it apart and worst case senario part it out). I used casrtol 10-40 motorcycle oil to flush (i bought 10-40 amsoil wcf just in case i got really lucky (it never hurts to dream right?))
Any sugestions on where to buy rebuild parts if i need to and want to build engine myself? Ive rebuilt a few motorcycle engines so im not afraid to rebuild myself if i can get ahold of parts cheap enough.

Man to talk with re parts and inner work would be Minnetonka4me...I believe.

Started to tear apart this weekend and charger spins freely (no resistance at all). Im sure now charger needs built and engine was starting to lock up it has spun over really slowly when I tried to crank it but it sounds hurt. Does anyone have recommendations on where to buy engine parts from or should I just bite the bullet and order all seadoo stuff?

Started to tear apart this weekend and charger spins freely (no resistance at all). Im sure now charger needs built and engine was starting to lock up it has spun over really slowly when I tried to crank it but it sounds hurt. Does anyone have recommendations on where to buy engine parts from or should I just bite the bullet and order all seadoo stuff?

The forum sponsor sell parts and has link here. Otherwise, you can google "seadoo parts", Ebay and Amazon.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back