2005 Sportster Rotax 4-tec

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

chad lanclos

2005 Sportster Rotax 4-tec starting problem

Hi I'm a newbie. Just bought my sportster 2 days ago. Both times I went to put it in the water it would not start. However, just before I would get in the water and just after I would get out, I would be able to start it. Does anyone have ANY idea why this might be happening? When in the water and lanyard is connected I get 2 beeps, engine will turn over but will not start. After everytime I try starting it, it'll be every few seconds 4 beeps. All fluid are good and batrery is charged. PLEASE HELP!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Chad,
The only thing i can think of is that in the water the impellers are trying to turn water so there is more load on the starter motor. If your battery is just good enough to start out of the water maybe it doesn't hold enough charge to start in the water.
I realize you say it is charged but have you had it load tested?

Hi Chad,
The only thing i can think of is that in the water the impellers are trying to turn water so there is more load on the starter motor. If your battery is just good enough to start out of the water maybe it doesn't hold enough charge to start in the water.
I realize you say it is charged but have you had it load tested?

Duh, thanks so much...we're not sure yet, but we think thats what it is...when we tested it, it had a very low voltage, so we have it charging now, and will try once again to take it out tomorrow. Will let you know if we succeed. Thanks again!

Don't just check the battery for 12 volts it needs to be LOAD tested. Meaning does it have 12 volts under a load, or power draw.

Karl

OK, that did not work. We even went and boat a new battery. It is still starting out of the water, but not in the water. Any other suggestions?
Thanks!

If you have very low compression it will have a hard time starting in the water. The density of the water adds too much load on the impeller to allow a low compression engine to perform as it should or even start. Check the cylinders for a compression test. The ideal amount of compression in each cylinder is 150 psi. If you not sure how to perform a compression test let us know and we'll get you pointed in the right direction.

Karl

If you have very low compression it will have a hard time starting in the water. The density of the water adds too much load on the impeller to allow a low compression engine to perform as it should or even start. Check the cylinders for a compression test. The ideal amount of compression in each cylinder is 150 psi. If you not sure how to perform a compression test let us know and we'll get you pointed in the right direction.

Karl

Ok, how do I check the compression. What you are saying makes since. Thanks!

You'll need a compression tester. Go to Auto Zone. I think they sell for like $25.00 The compression gage, will screw in the cylinder head in place of the spark plugs. To test compression remove both spark plugs. Place spark plug caps on the plug cap studs near the cylinder head to ground the empty caps. This completes the circuit of the ignition electrical system and prevents any electrical problems from the caps being un grounded. Using the correct adapter for the threaded end of the tester,( same length of the spark plug threads length)Screw in the tester in one plug hole. Hold the throttle wide open. Push the start button. Watch the compression guage, when it peaks out at the most compression, let go the start button. Read the psi number. I would do it 3 times to be sure it is accurate. Check both cylinders the same way. The ideal compression is 150 psi per cylinder. If it is less, it's not a problem as long as they are close to being the same. If the psi is less than 90 it might need be time for a tear down and a rebuild. If the psi in 1 cylinder is say 140 psi and the other is 80 psi you need to tear down and repair. This difference is a lot and there is a problem. I hope this helps you.

Karl

You'll need a compression tester. Go to Auto Zone. I think they sell for like $25.00 The compression gage, will screw in the cylinder head in place of the spark plugs. To test compression remove both spark plugs. Place spark plug caps on the plug cap studs near the cylinder head to ground the empty caps. This completes the circuit of the ignition electrical system and prevents any electrical problems from the caps being un grounded. Using the correct adapter for the threaded end of the tester,( same length of the spark plug threads length)Screw in the tester in one plug hole. Hold the throttle wide open. Push the start button. Watch the compression guage, when it peaks out at the most compression, let go the start button. Read the psi number. I would do it 3 times to be sure it is accurate. Check both cylinders the same way. The ideal compression is 150 psi per cylinder. If it is less, it's not a problem as long as they are close to being the same. If the psi is less than 90 it might need be time for a tear down and a rebuild. If the psi in 1 cylinder is say 140 psi and the other is 80 psi you need to tear down and repair. This difference is a lot and there is a problem. I hope this helps you.

Karl

Ok, so the mechanic from the lot we bought the boat from came with us yesterday to put it in the water and see what it does. He ended up cleaning up the spark plugs a little, then we were able to put it in the water and have no trouble starting it. However, wide open, we were moving maybe 5-10 MPH. So the mechanic then started playing with the engine and digging around, then he came up with the solution that the coils in 2 of the cylinders needed to be changed. So now we are waiting for those parts to come in and get them changed, then put it back in the water and see what it does. I'm really starting to get aggrivated. My wife and I bought this boat on a single thought. It's something we both really wanted and bought at a GREAT price. But it would be nice to finally ride the little sucker. It's been a week now, and we've put it in the water a total of 5 times with no luck. I hope those coils is all it takes to get us having fun in that water! Thanks for all of your help. If it seems to still be having problems after changing the coils, I will tell them to check the compression. When I mentioned it yesterday, he acted as if the problem had nothing to do with the compression. So we'll see.

Wearing ring.......

If you got a start in the water and went to WOT and the engine responded, going up to over 7k rpm, then your wearing ring is also shot or you've got blockage at the intake grate.......

G'day Luois, nice to hear from you again! Good point what were the revs doing?
I would let the machanic have a go, as long as he is fixing it and not charging you, why not let him figure it out!!
I know it is frustrating not to get to use your new toy, but when you do it will be worth it, my wife and i have a blast on our Doo:hurray:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back