2005 Sportster 200 370hp

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

matthewdandrea

I bought a boat last week. The guy lost the key, so i had a new DESS key programmed. Engines fired right up. Hooked up the water line to the hose to flush the system, starboard engine ran fine, no issues. The port engine ran for a min, then sputtered and finally shut down, no lights, no beeps, nothing. Couldn’t get it to start back up. I changed the plugs and then it fired right up. Both engines were running great. Took it out on a water test. The port side engine ran for a few seconds, gave it some throttle then bogged down and cut off. The starboard side engine started to sputter and wouldn’t get any speed. When I got back to the dock, i looked and saw the starboard engine had milky oil. Took boat back out, and both engine ran great. No smoke, no issues, no lights... help

Milky oil is indicative of water intrusion. You need to get that oil out ASAP otherwise things are going to start rusting. Then you need to figure out where it's coming from.

I'm in the market for a 200 myself. I have always been trusting of people - I think I will be testing what ever I buy. I hope you bought right not being able to test it.. Good luck

JPass is right milky will cost you the bottom end.. Sounds like may only be a head gasket if you are lucky. Start with a compression test that will tell the whole story.

Looks like you have supercharged engines from the title of the post. If so, water intrusion is more likely to be a symptom of leaky intercooler (if so equipped) or even internal leaks to the exhaust manifold. That is where I would start. Could have even been simply left on the running hose while the engine was shut off for too long.

First things first, you must get all that water out of the crank case with many oil changes. The longer it sits the worse your problems will be....

Did they ever make a version of the 370 with intercoolers? I thought that was why they were 370.. I'm ready to buy so I'm trying to figure all this out myself..

Last edited:
You are most likely correct about that, I'm not an expert on the models (could have done my math a little better too). 185's were not intercooled, but 215's I remember were? Anyway, something to look at and verify. I have and N/A and very happy.

Last edited:
OK, so I got all the water out of the Engine and re-tested it with the water hose. I changed all the plugs, and it ran good on the system flush. I took it to the boat ramp to test it out, once I got it on the water I drove for about 60 seconds to two minutes. The Portside engine temp light came on so I shut the engines down. Restart of the boat & no temp light, but ran fine for about 30 seconds, then portside engine shutdown. Ran to the dock for about another 45 seconds and the starboard engine shutdown. Neither engine would start back up and run. I came back the next morning i hopped in, started Both engines up and ran back to the dock. The Portside engine shut down again, and then the starboard engine shut down about 45 seconds later. Neither would restart. When I first start them up and get going the engines run really good. It seems like maybe water is getting in somewhere. There’s no water in the oil or water on the plugs so what else could this be?

Is bad fuel a possibility? Maybe something in the take that settles out after sitting the stirs back up? Just tossing ideas out there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back