2005 Seadoo GTI

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey everyone, I’ve bought a 2005 SEADOO GTI RFI, with the 2 cylinder, 2 stroke, bombardier rotax engine, and ive ran into a problem. I’ve tried to start it, but it doesn’t start. I’ll post a link to a video, where I try to start it and you’ll hear noise it’s making, but doesn’t start. There was very low fuel in tank, I’ve added some, and I looked inside the fuel filter, but it’s dry, doesn’t look like any gas is floating thru. I was thinking problem is in fuel pump, but I couldn’t find the fuel pump. I’ve tried to look up the diagram, and it shows fuel diagram from Seadoo gti, but I have the gti rfi. I’m getting started in the jetski world so I don’t know much at all, hopefully there was some useful information I provided, that something could help me solve the issue. Thanks in advance !

I can't see any picture in the video just noise. Does sound weird. Is that the solenoid making that noise? I must say if you are working on an RFI they seem to be a bit more complicated to diagnose than the carbureted skis for us old guys. I would suggest you do the troubleshooting process with the key out of the DESS Post. Perhaps that might lead you in a direction. I've only done this once so I am ill equipped to guide you. That said, if you download the manual the information on the testing is in there. Good luck and please post your findings and questions. Information like this helps all of us.

I will be working on this ski shortly. 2001 RFI.

Attachments

• 2001 GTX RFI (3).JPEG
    2001 GTX RFI (3).JPEG
    705.3 KB · Views: 10
Then again.... I'm wondering if that noise is your fuel pump, which shouldn't be. Fuel pump is in the tank as are the filters which I highly recommend changing. You can pull the tank for cleaning or just remove the small storage container (the small compartment beneath the handle bars) and reach the filters from there. Not to bad of a job. The filters in the picture were on the 1999 RFI.
GTX RFI Fuel Filter.jpgFuel Filter Dirty (2).jpg

Hey thanks for the reply! My jetski does have a carburetor, that’s where 2 fuel lines go to.

77D2F1EE-F2CD-443A-8D5D-6FF565AA6585.png

That’s the picture of fuel system I have in my jetski. Which is weird to me because it seems like that’s for the regular gti model.

E2F474F6-58ED-4D1F-9C15-5ADAF554C990.png

This is the manual showing fuel system for gti rfi and gti le rfi. So I’m a bit confused on why that’s that. And again confused on where the fuel pump would be located. I’ve got the 718.2 cc engine.

If you have a carb and a 720 then you don't have a GTI RFI. The RFI is Rotax Fuel Injection and only on the 787 engines.

You have a base GTI or a GTI LE, that's it.

The fuel pump is built into the carb.

Is the PTO turning when you hit the start button? Your video sounds like a starter issue. If the motor isn't spinning you aren't drawing fuel and would explain the dry strainer

Thanks for the replies everyone! I’ve ordered fuel filter, oil filter, spark plugs, carburetor rebuild kit, and starter, will swap everything out, and give an update and go from there.

Thanks for the replies everyone! I’ve ordered fuel filter, oil filter, spark plugs, carburetor rebuild kit, and starter, will swap everything out, and give an update and go from there.
Verify that it is the starter before spending money on a new one. If you do actually need a new starter, do not buy aftermarket. If you currently have an OEM starter, buy a rebuild kit for it.

Don’t buy aftermarket carb kits or starters, they all are junk and you will be buying OEM anyway.

Don’t just buy parts, you have us to save your money for only things you actually need.

Thanks again everyone for reply, wasn’t expecting such help. After doing some diagnostics, long story short, I switched sparkplugs, and sucked some fuel to the carburetor, after couple of rotations, it started to run. Starts and runs like a clock now! I’ll be doing some canceling on orders lol. Kind of embarrassing out come since I made it seem like it’s a way bigger deal then it is, but I’m new to jet ski world and all good that ends well :) Thanks again for all the replies, I’ll do some cleaning and detailing and will take it out for a run at the river. Looking forward to being part of this forum, thanks again everyone!

I would still rebuild the carb, clean the fuel filter, verify you are running the correct oil (it should never be green or blue), and change the jet pump oil.

If you are using the wrong oil it can damage the engine and cause the crank seals to leak. These engines need the correct API-TC rated oil, not TCW-3 outboard oil that Yamaha, Kawasaki and Polaris use.

TCW-3 (the wrong oil) is blue or green. So look at your oil tank and oil lines and see what color you have.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back