2005 sea doo sportster 155- antifreeze in exhaust is it necessary?

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

Scubadave16

Hello

I did a quick search and still havent found a definitive answer here. I just bought a 2005 Sea Doo Sportster 155. Time to put it away for winter and I am hearing different things about whether I need to put antifreeze in the exhaust. some say it is self draining, others say to be safe put in anti freeze. The engine is the 4tec 3 cyl 155 without a supercharger or intercooler. Im in Chicago so it is gonna likely be pretty cold like -20F. So do I need to do anything with the exhaust? if so, where does one put the antifreeze. My 1996 challenger had a hose fitting on the hull and I was able to find pretty explicit instructions as to what hose to clamp and when to turn on water, etc. not so for this one. Thanks in advance.

If I was in Chicago, I would flood the exhaust with antifreeze. I’m in North Carolina, where we rarely have a 48 hour period below freezing, so I just blow the exhaust out with compressed air.

I’ve never put anything in the exhaust. Gets pretty cold here (southern Ontario), and haven’t had any issues.

Hey Scubadave -- for what it's worth -- I have a 2004 w/ twin 155s (NA, not supercharged), and rather being safe than sorry, I've done the antifreeze flush to both engines last year and this year (I'm in northern Indiana). Followed the same method as in this video ...

My Utopia has the same engines, and the manual says to run the engine at 4000 rpm for 20 seconds to blow the water out of the exhaust system. Done.
gacekj's process would work fine, and it's good that he emphasizes NOT to run the water with the engine not running. I filled up an engine with water doing that by mistake. Big mistake!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back