2005 RXT Service / Problem

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

AirJordan613

I everyone. I have a 2005 RXT. It has about 50 hours on it and it hasn't been services in about 15 hours. The maint indicator on the screen is on and I'm wondering what needs to be done aside from an oil change. Also, it has starting problem. About half the times I go to start it clicks. If I keep pushing start it usually starts but sometimes it takes several tries. Starter solenoid possibly? What do you guys think? Thanks.

Almost guarantee it's the starter solenoid. I just replaced the one on the 05 RXT I work on. It was doing the same exact thing. It would click when you pressed the start button but not turn over. Press it a few more times and it would catch and go. I used a screwdriver to "jump" the two terminals on the solenoid and it turned over fine so it wasn't the starter. Cranks every time now after replacing the solenoid.

The "maint" reminder shows up at 100 hours I believe it is. Maybe every 50 since your ski only has 50 hours on it. But according to the service manual every 100 hours with the "maint" the oil, oil filter, and spark plugs get changed and then there are several "inspections" (exhaust bolts, rubber mounts, etc.). The oil and plugs should get changed at least every season anyway regardless of hours. If you want to clear the "maint" put the key on, when the display reads "maint" hold the "mode" and "set" buttons down at the same time for about 5 to 20 seconds until it clears.

Thanks I'll have to look into the solenoid issue. Hopefully it isn't too difficult to replace. Actually if you have any tips for that I'd appreciate it. As far as maintenance goes, are there any bearings that need to be greased or any maintenance for the pump?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The manual doesn't show any grease fittings or bearings to lubricate, but it does suggest lubing all the cables (steering, throttle, reverse lever) and spraying down the driveshaft for anti-corrosion purposes. The pump was suggested to grease the driveshaft/impeller splines. I personally have never done that, but I haven't maintained this one from the beginning so it may have been done.

As far as the solenoid it's pretty simple. I believe it was 10mm for all the nuts. Use a 1/4 inch ratchet as it will fit in the space much easier. You will need a short extension or switch to a deep well socket for the mounting bolts. Pull the negative cable from the battery. Then just pull the connector plug from the solenoid, unscrew the nuts from the cables on top of the solenoid (under the red caps), and unscrew the two bolts mounting the solenoid to the bracket. It's located right by the MPEM (block with all the fuses on it). Can't miss it. Installation is reverse order just make sure the area where the solenoid mounts and all the nuts, etc, are free of corrosion/dirt. Should fire up like a charm.

Thanks. I started it up out of the water today no problem so I'll likely hold off on replacing the solenoid. But as far as maintenance goes it sounds like I need to change the oil and plugs and I'm good to go. Is that all?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Alright, I'll take another look at it, but as far as regular maintenance goes, am I just looking at plugs and oil change with these supercharged 4 strokes? I know on my 2 stroke the bearing on the driveshaft needed to be greased but I can't even see any bearing on this one.

There is a procedure for lubing the shaft, like I said about the splines and then the anti-corrosion, I just have not done it myself as of yet on one of these so I can't give any more detail than that sorry.

You may also want to consider replacing the coolant as well since you are in there. It's a good idea to replace the coolant every 2 years, ski is already 6 years old or so. Has it ever been done to your knowledge? If not just replace it. Very easy to do coolant is cheap.

I know the previous owner was meticulous with maintenance so I'm sure it was done before I got it. Since I got it about 2.5 years ago I'll I've done is change oil and plugs each year. I can certainly look into changing the coolant.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

When your hours get up towards 100 youll need to look at replacing supercharger washers. Otherwise oil and plugs as you are already doing, coolant every couple of years and lubing the driveshaft splines just quietens it down a bit.

No, its just a nice to do. As long as its a nice mix and hasnt been topped up with water then you can stretch out that 2years.

When your hours get up towards 100 youll need to look at replacing supercharger washers. Otherwise oil and plugs as you are already doing, coolant every couple of years and lubing the driveshaft splines just quietens it down a bit.

This is an excellent point! It's not what most would consider general maintenance, but replacing the ceramic washers on these superchargers at 100 hours is pretty much a must on these machines. Remember that as you get more hours on it. If the ceramics let go they send pieces into the crankcase and it can do major damage. You obviously have time but it is something to make a point of when you get up close to 100 hours.

Alright guys. I'm itching to get out on the lake. That starter solenoid has me a little nervous though so I have one on order, it was only $23 shipped. Any tips or tricks for getting it installed. From what I've read it seems tedious. Thanks.

I have not yet, but I only have about 50 hours on it. My dealership recommended rebuilding it with metal washers at 100 hours. Does that sound right?

I was mistaken I just got to my seadoo and it has 64 hours on it. Does the sc need to be rebuilt this early?

You're ok with the washers. They recommend 100 hours so you have some room, but I would HIGHLY consider a rebuild this winter while it's down for the season.

The solenoid isn't too bad. I recommend using a 1/4" ratchet with a 10mm deep well socket for the mount bolts and a 10mm short (regular) socket for the two cables on it. That should give you all the room you need to work on it.

- Pull the negative cable fromt he battery
- Unplug the connector from the solenoid
- unscrew and remove the two "positive" cables from the solenoid
- remove mounting bolts (or nuts)

Replace with new one in reverse order.

Thanks! I removed the old solenoid. It's the brown one which I guess is junk. What a convenient location... (sarcasm). I have a black one on order and I pulled the plugs. I think the hardest part for a first time oil changer on this is convincing yourself to do it. It's actually really easy. Thank you seadoo forum

Dude....read this carefully.....stealerships sell anything they can...as often as they can.

Ceramics can blow at any time....10hrs on a machine is not unheard of.

this is not a joke.

Dude....read this carefully.....stealerships sell anything they can...as often as they can.

Ceramics can blow at any time....10hrs on a machine is not unheard of.

this is not a joke.

I'm thinking I'll address the washers this offseason. I haven't even used my skiis yet so I just ordered the seadoo maintenance kit for $65 shipped. I'll tune 'em up and look into the washers soon. I only plan to but 5-8 hours on it this year and I'm at 64 now so I'll be under 75 hours for sure. What is the best method for rebuilding the supercharger? Dealership?

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back