2005 RXP/RXT maintainence & care

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello all!

I'm a new Seadoo owner and new to this forum so if my questions are answered else where, please feel free to direct me there.

I just purchased a Seadoos: 2005 RXP and a 2005 RXT. Picked up this past weekend and besides a couple of test runs, hoping to hit the water this weekend for my first real time out with them.

Any general tips, things to look for, best practices? Since I am new to this, I don't know anything but I love to learn.

My main concern is since I just spent a chunk of change on these things, I want to know the best way to take care of them. I like to perform as much maintenance as I possible can myself so any tips, tricks, recommendation, etc (best oil, when to change it, filters, rings, gaskets, wash, polish, wax, winterizing, etc)

P.S. I've heard about the supercharger problems with these machines and they have been rebuilt already -- approximately 50hrs ago. Each machine has about 150hrs ( i think one has 155 and the other has 135hrs) I've heard the rebuilt supercharger should last about 200hrs so i figure i should have at least 150hrs before another rebuild is necessary.

2005 RXP/RXT maintainence & care

Is it your intention to ride in fresh or salt water?

From 2004 to 2006 the 4-tec engine had hollow stem exhaust valves. They were filled with Sodium. The intent was to help in cooling the valve, the reality is, it created a weak spot, ]the valves broke and fell into the engine. As you can imagine, this causes SERIOUS damage. The bad valves have the number 72 stamped on them and the replacement valves have the number 75 stamped on them. The only way to know if yours have been swapped out is to pull the valve cover and look for the stamping.

Let us know where you plan on riding and then we will give better details.

View attachment 31033

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1434564422.106231.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1434564422.106231.jpg
    294.6 KB · Views: 36
Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the info, I'll be sure to check that....is there a special tool I need?

It will be only in freshwater... Maybe great lakes... Lake Ontario is only 30mins from me

No special tool needed to see the stamping. Just some swear words and what not...

Basic rules, which you hit on some already is, 2 years or 200 hours on a SC that has been rebuilt with the UPDATED parts (09 and newer have the updated parts from the factory). 04-07 can accept the updated parts. The 200 hour rule is really a marketing scheme more than reality. Seadoo did this to make it sound better than having to spend $450 every 100 hours. The every 2 year aspect has to do with the squirrel cages. They get brittle and can break. If this happens, the bearings fall into the engine.

Oil changes every 50 hours. and do NOT over-fill the crankcase. 4-tec engines do NOT like to much oil. It puts pressure on the crankcase and will affect how the engine runs.

Flushing the engine is only important if you run in sandy or gravel areas. Flushing runs the water in reverse, so it will FLUSH out the debris. While running on the hose the engine does NOT get cooled as the 4-tec has a closed loop system and has NOTHING to do with the hose water.

Max run time out of the water on or off the hose is one-minute. This is so you do not damage the Carbon Seal.

Every now and then take some CRC Lube or WD 40 and spray the metal parts of the engines and cables and what not. This is not too crucial with fresh water skis, but can't help. I live in Florida and spray the entire engine down with it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CoastieJoe,

So they were rebuilt like 3yrs ago but only about 50 or so hours on them. They look like they were well maintained. Should I be concerned?

3ftdeep,

Awesome video! Thank you for that!

Officially, yes. But most do not follow the two-year rule. I would say it mostly depends on how and where the ski is stored. Humid area vs more arid. Salt water location vs fresh water,,, That kind of thing. If the ski was generally maintained well, you can buy time. I am in about the same boar right now. I have only 65 hours on my skis but this will be my forth season od use. So I am pulling mine off and sending it in for a rebuild.

So i got them in the water this weekend and they ran great; however, the RXP wouldn't break 6500 RPM...topped out around 53MPH while my wife on the RXT was hitting 62MPH around 7800 RPM. Water conditions were pretty good, but that being equal why would the RXP stop at 6500 RPM?

i haven't. seller said he did last year.

Funny thing is when i was test riding them, the RXT was having an issue, the seller said it was the plugs so i made him replace them and it drove fine afterwards. I never fully opened them both up though to try to top them out. both got up to 50mph pretty quick so i figured they were good to go.

Could it really be as simple as some spark plugs that would prevent it from getting past 6500 RPM? that would be a great cheap fix.

how often should plugs be replaced? The seller told me he changed them out every other year.

I've not gone back and re-read all the posts. Is your engine oil over full by chance?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CoastieJoe,

No, it was full, but the dipstick didn't indicate it was overfull. I'll hook them up to a hose and run them for a minute to verify when i get home, but the seller had them serviced at a dealer so i don't think they overfilled them.

I replace mine every year. We actually got hold of a great machine that was sold cheap because of a "serious engine problem", and it turned out to be a bad spark plug. You should replace yours right away, even if they don't turn out the be the problem. Also check your electrical connections, condition of terminals, etc.

The first time I put them in the battery was dead in the rxt. It was a small battery so I bought a brand new one and the negative terminal on the rxp was loose, since it has the smaller battery in it, could that be the issue? I thought once it was running the battery really wouldn't matter but maybe I'm wrong about that?

Probably not, but you need to make sure you have the right battery in your machines, and that the terminals are properly connected at all times. That'll rule out that possibility as a cause of the problem.

Hello!

My RXP has been having a problem. After driving for a few minutes the oil light comes on and it all but stalls out until I shut it off and turn it back on... I saw in another post about changing the two oil pressure switches so I did that but it didn't fix it.

Any thoughts?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back