2005 RXP 4-Tec starter

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

OFD25

Hey guys, I bought a RXP That was clicking. I replace the solenoid and the ground wire and it’s still clicking, I jumped the solenoid and it didn’t turn over, so I ordered a new start before I dropped $120 on a new battery.

My question is how does one install a new starter on this ski, the old starter is located basically on the side of the engine, right below the exhaust manifold. Anyone have any ideas or videos on how to remove the starter with out basically taking part everything.

Thanks guys!

They suck, especially the rxp. You pull the upper seat shroud first. It's virtually impossible to get the starter off with the exhaust in place, even then you have bigger fore arms it's still brutal. You can get shop manuals for them free and it will help a lot but it's pure scraped arms and thrown tools territory. Makes it worse is you will drop a bolt or nut and because they're stainless, you have to get them by hand, magnet won't work.

I know some guys will pull motor mounts, intake and pto and tip the motor over in the hull. Others say you can do it with skinny hands and lots of ratchet extensions.. I've never done one in a boat but have pulled motors including an RXP, and when pulling you have to remove the cables but can't until the motor is half out.

Its not that bad imo. But, you have to know what your going after because its all by feel. On the RXP you can reach everything from around the front between the gas tank & engine, under the exhaust manifold, but I think the 2005 has the old style tops so it could be a little tighter than the 2006+ style. Have not tried it on that year. If you have bigger than avg arms, might be a little tougher too. I am an avg sized guy & I get some scrapes sometimes. The back two inverted torx bolts & starter wire are not bad imo, What I often struggle with is getting the gears to mesh & going back in. Sometimes they will line up & slip right in, sometimes you have to keep moving the gears & try again. That part can test your patience in an already tight area......

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back