2005 Islandia jet pump service

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

75sausage

I finally started taking apart my jet pump. The wear ring is shot and the impeller shows signs of abuse as well. I need to replace the impeller, a wear ring, and a couple of broken bolts (stator bolt being one of them sigh).

I have a couple of questions based on my pictures below:
1. Is there any way for me to determine if the impeller is OK with this corroded wear ring to measure against? I was planning to use a solas impeller if a replacement is needed.
2. Are there any options to buying a mercury wear ring? I see that only OEM parts are available since it is a complete assembly in which the wear ring part is not removable.
3. What's the trick to removing the wear ring? Mine is stuck on pretty good and hammering does not seem to separate it.
4. My intake grate has a hinge which allows it to be opened for cleaning purposes (I assume). Are there any advantages to replacing the grate and what type of grate would be better.
5. Which parts which may not necessarily show wear or damage should I replace which I have this apart?

268.jpg

269.jpg

270.jpg

271.jpg

272.jpg

273.jpg

This is what the wear ring looks like
274.jpg

275.jpg

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
1) The impeller looks fine. Just use a file to clean up the burr's on the leading edge.

2) Unlike a seadoo PWC... the "Ring" doesn't come out of the housing. It's all one part. You can send it into some shops, and they can boar it, and put in a stainless ring. BUT, it's almost as much as the OEM part. And, if the housing has bad corrosion... it's not worth trying to have it done.

3) DO NOT BEAT ON THE HOUSING !! If you do, you can damage the bearings, or bend the shaft. If you need to tap on it... remove the impeller first. THEN, you can use a little heat to break the corrosion.

4) With as much corrosion as I see in your pump (it was obviously left in salt water) I would get rid of the hydrosurge grate. The tines are known to break off, and they go into the pump, and cause a lot of damage. At the minimum, I would replace it. Or better yet, get a fixed grate.

5) I read that one a few times... and I'm not 100% sure what you are trying to ask.

Thanks for advice Tony. I had to use brute force to get that wear ring loose. it was frozen solid. I sure hope I didn't damage anything because if I did it will be an expensive lesson. We shall see. The hydrosurge grate looks to be in a decent shape upon close inspection, It does not have much corrosion and I didn't notice any signs of cracks or stress. Are there any aftermarket suppliers for these grates?

Nope... nothing after market that I know of. But, Mercury makes an aluminum 5 tine, and an 11 tine stainless (AKA the rock grate) fixed grates.

Pump all new and refurbished. I cleaned and painted all the parts and reasambled with new shift and steering bellows plus rudder adjusted and centered; I couldn't believe it was so much off. I also replaced my impeller with the solus one.
609.jpg

610.jpg

611.jpg

75sausage, any feedback on the Solas impeller? I've always wondered about the performance of the Solas impeller, but have never seen any feedback on them.

Also, from the pictures I noticed that your previous impeller was the "High Skew" impeller...which is a Mercury upgrade over the standard 4-blade impeller and is VERY expensive! So you may want to sell the old impeller?

Attachments

• 4 Blade vs High Skew Impeller.JPG
    4 Blade vs High Skew Impeller.JPG
    23 KB · Views: 35
  • 8896T01 High Skew Impeller.JPG
    8896T01 High Skew Impeller.JPG
    39.6 KB · Views: 27
Thanks gor the heads up. I have yet to put the boat in the water (still working ontge upholstery). Will update when I can.

I ran the boat a few times with the new Solas impeller and got 30 MPH with 2 adults on-board. I feel that my engine is not running quite right as I only get just a tad over 5000 rpm. at WOT. I would like to troubleshoot the fuel/air pressured however the cost of the Mercury pressure gauge is a bit prohibitive. Does any one know how to get this gauge cheaper or any DIY to make one that would work?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back