2005 GTX gas gauge/sensor problem

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

Txpark

My 2005 GTX 4-tec gas gauge quit working showing full or 3/4 full all the time. I put a new OEM sensor in the tank and still have the same problem, although while the pump was out and testing the sensor, when the arm was raised all the way up, as in a full tank of gas, the low fuel light and alarm would go off and the gauge would show empty. when I lower the between 3/4 to 1/4 full the gauge shows completely full and when I move it to empty the gauge show 3/4 full.

Any suggestions? Thanks in advance.

check your connections. the fuel tank level senders are very reliable on the 4tecs(unlike the carb 2 strokes) and very rarely have any issues. it is a simple resistance device, so check the resistance AT THE MPEM at terminals 1-21 and 1-1. you should see 5 ohms for a full tank and 90 ohms for empty. make sure terminals are fully inserted into connector and are clean and pinching tightly making good contact.

Okay I tested the ohms and have 5 when full and 90 empty and still have the same issue. I have also check all the connections all the way to the instrument cluster but could not figure out which wires were from the sensor.

Paul

I'm also coding 0642 which is the code for a bad sensor. I the maintenance test also flashes sensor when the key is put on. Do I need to clear the codes and retest everything? Paul

The maintenance when the key is put on is your scheduled maintenance hourly mark and you'll need your dealer to clear, or BUDS or Candoo.

If your resistance is good all the way to the MPEM, I would check the MPEM connection or the connections to the ECU which is the brain, the MPEM is just a fuse box(and some other minor functions) and power distribution.

Last edited by a moderator:
i have this same problem. have checked resistance and have half tank readings (apprx) at mpem. wondering what the next step is if i cant find the problem. everything appears ok at this point.

ps-any info on how the signal works to the instrument cluster would greatly be appreciated. does it send digital? etc? i have a gtx with the same problem and currently trying to find out why the gauge does not reflect the amount of fuel when the sender tests properly.

update- switched the mpem from my 2004 gtx to the 2005 gtx with the fuel gauge problem. the fuel read proper with the 2004 mpem in the 2005. anyone know that this is a common problem? is there anything that can be done short of replacing the mpem? any help would greatly appreciated.

Apparently this is a common problem as several have had the same issue. I got lucky and bought a used MPEM box on eBay for mine and it fixed the problem. If you buy a used one the number on the front of the box that everyone shows is not the part number. There are two numbers on the top of the box that are stamped into it, the bottom number is the part number. Good luck. Paul

thanks for the response paul.
i talked to the local seadoo shop and he still thinks its the fuel sender (arm stuck in full position). i however still believe its mpem because i switched them and it showed the appropriate amount of fuel. i took a picture of the numbers on the mpem and will be searching for one.

edit-
as i look for an mpem, many people are telling me numbers dont have to match on the module. they are claiming there are numbers that are superseded year to year. can anyone confirm or deny this? i dont want to put the wrong module in and cause myself greater problems down the road.

thanks

How did it work out? I also have the same problem and I'm wondering it all worked out and if you found the problem.

thanks for the response paul.
i talked to the local seadoo shop and he still thinks its the fuel sender (arm stuck in full position). i however still believe its mpem because i switched them and it showed the appropriate amount of fuel. i took a picture of the numbers on the mpem and will be searching for one.

edit-
as i look for an mpem, many people are telling me numbers dont have to match on the module. they are claiming there are numbers that are superseded year to year. can anyone confirm or deny this? i dont want to put the wrong module in and cause myself greater problems down the road.

thanks

How did it work out? I also have the same problem and I'm wondering it all worked out and if you found the problem.

Kirk,

I have yet to find a module with the correct numbers for what I feel is a reasonable price. The problem is in fact the module. Since at this point it is only effecting the gas gauge, I have put it aside and had to budget for super charger rebuilds on both of my gtx. That being said I did try to buy a module off of eBay and fix it. The seller of the module was convinced the numbers did not have to match. The module I purchased was from a 2004. Let me caution you against this and save you some headache. The 2004 does not have the same tip over sensor system as the 2005. So the 2004 module that I purchased read proper fuel but created codes for the tip over system. Armed with this knowledge, I would recommend getting a numbers matching module if you can. If the numbers don't match 100%, at least match the year and all options for the seadoo you are buying it from (assuming used). Good luck.

Mon1800

Thanks for the update..... I'll keep you in mind, I have two friends with 2 2005 GTX 215 limited skis....one blew a carbon seal and almost sank in the ocean off of Catalina Island and the other blew the SC bearing and went into the motor. I'm grateful my other ski is a Yamaha!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back