2005 GTX 4-TEC issues

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

seadoo_tiger

I have two 2005 GTX 4-TEC SeaDoos. I just got them out of storage from the winter and took them out for the first time this weekend. One SeaDoo1, I was having problems with a sluggish start before going to the lake. When I first connected the lanyard, MAINT would be displayed in the display. I took the battery out and had it checked at AutoZone. They charged it up for me and it started fine after that. However, MAINT was still displayed in the panel. When I got this one out at the lake, it started and ran fine.

On SeaDoo2, I had no problems before going to the lake. It started fine and no MAINT in the display. I cranked it for about 2 seconds right before pulling off the trailer and it cranked right up. I got it in the water and it turned over very sluggish before finally starting. I could tell something was wrong because it seemed to idle very slow and wanted to die. After getting past the No Wake Zone, I hit the throttle and it acted very sluggish and then died. I couldn't get it started back with very weak turnover. Ended up towing it back to the boat dock, put it back on the trailer, and tried to crank. It turns over and cranks fine on the trailer.

Here are my questions:
On SeaDoo1, what is the MAINT display mean? Does that mean something is wrong or it is time for scheduled maintenance?

On SeaDoo2 - Could this be the battery even though it cranked in the water and turns over fine on the trailer? Seems like it wouldn't crank at all with bad battery and I am confused why it cranks one way in the water and completely different out. These are the original batteries on both.

Thanks

Welcome to the seadoo forum Seadoo Tiger. On seadoo 1, if you hit the "set" button for 2 or 3 seconds it will go out. It is the maintenance reminder signal.
If it comes back it might need to have the code checked at the seadoo dealer. On seadoo2 I would change the battery if it is the original. Most batteries last about 2 1/2 - 3 years if your lucky. Don't "jump start" it or use a "jump start box" also charge it unconnected to the sseadoo also or it could get a power surge and cause electrical problems doing these things. Keep us posted.

Karl

Thanks for reply kustomkarl. I held down the set button and it went out but, just comes back on when I take the lanyard out and then re-attach. I guess there may be something else going on with it. I will get it to the dealer. I haven't had a chance to get the other back out yet with a new battery but, I am hoping that is all that is wrong with it.
Thanks for help.

I finally got a chance to get these back out this weekend to test. I put a brand new battery in the one that had to be towed in last time. It turned over great but, kept going dead for awhile. It wouldn't get above 15 or 20 mph at full throttle when it did stay started. I kept it out and just kept it at full throttle and kept starting it again when it went dead. Gradually, it started getting a little faster. Eventually, it got to top speed (around 60mph) and it was fine after that. This took around 45 minutes of continuous riding at full throttle. It appears to be fine now. I had to blow them out a little last year but, nothing like this. Last year, I didn't put stabilizer in the fuel over the winter. This year I did and didn't think I would have to blow them out. I'm glad it is working but, would like to know what causes this. Any ideas?

Without being there looking a at it getting winterized or starting it for the first time it is hard to tell you what happened. Just go ride it and have fun.

Karl

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back