2005 Challenger 180 Neutral Switch Starting Issue

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

gdperry2017

Had problem with C180SE not starting. Members of this forum suggested bypassing the neutral safety switch, which I did. Now the engine will crank but won't start. Is there a safety circuit which prohibits bypassing the neutral switch?

Sounds like you just disconnected the neutral switch without wire nutting the wires back together to complete the circuit ?

Sounds like you just disconnected the neutral switch without wire nutting the wires back together to complete the circuit ?

Actually, I did wirenut the wires together, but my problem is now solved. The non starting issue was the engine needed coaxing. Normally, the 4-tec started by pushing the button for a second or less. This time it needed more time on the button - 3 to 5 seconds. The first 2 tries, the engine fired, coughed and quit. The third fired up and we're off to the races. Runs fine, now. I'm tempted to not replace the neutral switch ($88). All drivers are adults and understand that it needs to be in neutral for safe starting.

Glad things worked out. My N/switch went out a couple years while I was at Lake Havasu,...couldn't locate a new one. I bi-passed it, and have never bothered to replace it, and I have NEVER had a single problem since. I read where the neutral switch is a chronic problem,....I am the one who always starts the boat, there's no prop danger, why would I want ? need to spend the money on something that at some point will again fail? Happy Boating!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back