2005 3d check engine light on??

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

true520

Hey guys,

I used to play with the 787 a bunch... years ago. (have since moved over to Sparks tho! :)

Anyhoo, one of my buddies called asking me for advice. He is looking at 2005 3d with the 787 motor.

Machine starts and revs fine sitting on the trailer... but the check engine light is on. Owner says he hasn't had it checked for anything so we are kinda going in blind here.

What all could a check engine light mean on a 2005 3d?

I am thinking if it cranks, then it shouldn't be too extreme...right?

Thanks in advance!

It means skip this ski.

The 951 DI's electronics are finicky, and 11 years old.

I've read the fuel pump is the most common failure, but I'd personally skip this ski.

It means skip this ski.

The 951 DI's electronics are finicky, and 11 years old.

I've read the fuel pump is the most common failure, but I'd personally skip this ski.

Sounds like solid advice. LoL

I have been trying to convince him to just buy one of our sparks, but he keeps talking about HOW COOL the older 2 strokes are. LOL

On a side question tho... We were thinking it was a 787 motor? Im not sure I knew they put a 951 in the 3Ds. LoL

Aslo, on a side note:

This 3D would be bought for 1500.. which is quiet a bit less than he would get one of my sparks for. lol

Nope. Broken 951 with trailer, maybe $800. Di, even less. 3D, even less. Not a broad market ski.

Take the Spark.

Yup just looked it up. The 05 has the 787 RFI. The 951 was switched into the 3D for the black and red one in 06-07.

The 3D is a wild and fun ski. If you are looking for a unique ride and don't mind wrenching on older two strokes ... Not a bad ski. Work on the price due to the check engine light though. Not as many nightmares as the di platform but can still be a headache without proper tools.

Yup just looked it up. The 05 has the 787 RFI. The 951 was switched into the 3D for the black and red one in 06-07.

The 3D is a wild and fun ski. If you are looking for a unique ride and don't mind wrenching on older two strokes ... Not a bad ski. Work on the price due to the check engine light though. Not as many nightmares as the di platform but can still be a headache without proper tools.

So the 05 ski is a Carburated 787 ? I noticed it didn't say Di on the pictures he sent. But, I can also tell the owner doesn't really know what he has, or he is just being reluctant disclosing all the information. LoL

On a side note, I am the one who already has Sparks. This is a ski my buddy is looking at, and I have forgotten pretty much all the info on them. LoL

Thanks again for the help.

It is not a carb 787 but it is a RFI 787. This is fuel injected not direct injected. There is a difference. The di series with the 951 are known for issues with the fuel pumps and they are hard to get and expensive when they break. I don't know too much on the RFI series as I own a few di and carb model skis hopefully someone else will chime in on the RFI series.

Hope this all helps.

i have 2 of these i picked up last week for 2400 bucks. They are a great ski and we have a blast on them, i am actually getting ready to write up my experience with them over the past week getting them running well. THe previous owner rarely flushed and owned them since 2005. Bought them ran a few tanks through them and they are awesome. THe check engine light on mine is the OPAS system which is tripped after a WOT run and the handle is turned trying to trigger the system, mine wont trigger because its rusted. It can also be one of the sensors. take it for a ride and if it rides well buy it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back