2004 Speedster---Tow Rope stuck behind driveshaft and into black seal. Any advice

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

CatManMN

Hi Everyone,

I just recently picked up a 2004 Speedster, and took it out tubing last weekend. Long story short, the tube rope got sucked into the impeller and wrapped itself around the driveshaft. I was able to get most of it out, but there is a small section that is between the driveshaft and the boat, and goes into the black grommet or seal that goes into the engine bay.

I was able to cut it and the driveshaft moves freely, but I can't figure out how to get the rest of it out unless I pull the jet assembly and driveshaft all the way out. Is this needed? What is inside that black seal? Any recommendations for me? I don't have any pictures, but I can get some tomorrow if needed.

Thanks for all the help! I will be signing up for a premium membership this afternoon today as well.

You will want to remove it as it can cause cavitation, vibration issues, or wipe out the general area where it is jammed. Probably will have to pull the pump.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sounds like what has happened to me several times on my Utopia. I had to pull the pump off, which really isn't that difficult. In my case, that "black seal" that you are referring to was the boot, and the rope cut it to shreds. That needs to be replaced-about a $10 part. After the second time, I ordered spare boots so I don't lose a week waiting for a replacement the next time it happens.

How does the boot get replaced? After I pull the pump, how hard is the driveshaft to remove? I downloaded the service manuals but it looked like I needed a bunch of special tools to remove it

In my case, the boot is conical, like a pipe reducer. The larger end threads onto the jet pump (the impeller end, if I remember correctly), and the smaller end just fits over the spline of the shaft. I threaded the boot onto the impeller end, and then carefully re-installed the entire pump assembly, sliding the open end of the boot onto the shaft. I didn't have to remove the shaft...though you should put some grease on the spline end.pump removed and rope_opt.jpg

How does the boot get replaced? After I pull the pump, how hard is the driveshaft to remove? I downloaded the service manuals but it looked like I needed a bunch of special tools to remove it

post some pictures, to make sure we are talking about the same thing. most likely you'll have to remove the shaft.

Here are some pics of the driveshaft and boot.

Attachments

• IMG_2619.JPG
    IMG_2619.JPG
    233.9 KB · Views: 29
  • IMG_2620.JPG
    IMG_2620.JPG
    180.8 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG_2621.JPG
    IMG_2621.JPG
    399 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG_2629.JPG
    IMG_2629.JPG
    416.9 KB · Views: 24
  • IMG_2630.JPG
    IMG_2630.JPG
    182 KB · Views: 24
Last edited by a moderator:
Some additional pics that show the location better

Attachments

• Boat 2.JPG
    Boat 2.JPG
    187.7 KB · Views: 21
  • Boat 3.JPG
    Boat 3.JPG
    182 KB · Views: 27
I just found your thread looking for solution to my rope eating consequences and I must say - that is a pretty rope picture.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back