2004 SeaDoo XP DI - Maintenance light - low power

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

krmbo

Hey everybody,

i'm a new proud owner of a used seadoo xp di 2004.

I went out for the first ride, but after about 1 minute, the maintenance light will come up and the power will be reduced to a very low rpm. :(
The next day I had the same problem.

I have absolutely no idea what to do, as i just got the ski 1 week ago. I called a dealer here and he said: "Oh my god, 2004 XP DI, my suggestion: just sell it right away to somebody that is far away from you". When I asked why, he said that this modell has huge issues with the electricity and nobody knows what to do.

Does anybody have / had similiar issues with this ski? Any ideas of how to fix it or just sell it?
As I live Austria where it is actually not allowed to use a jet ski (not a prob as we only use it in croatia), there are of course very few dealers around here, which i could ask. So I'd be highly thankful if any of you guys has an idea what might be going on?

best regards,
krmbo

PS: i tried searching for this specific topic in the forum, but unfortunately couldn't find anything - if there is already a topic about this I'm sorry for opening a new thread.

Hi, I have the 2003 xpdi and I'm always considering selling mine to however mines running great right now and I have had pretty good luck with mine in regards to nothing serious yet. If the ski is saying low voltage it's probably the rectifier, measure the voltage at the battery at idle you should get at least 12 plus volts and at 4 to 5 thousand rpms maybe 13 to 14.5 volts any more and the rectifier is bad. I'm far from mechanically skilled so one of the board pro's will probably chime in.

If the ski is saying low voltage it's probably the rectifier
Thanks for your reply! as far as I remember it only said "Maintenance", is there another light for low voltage? Sorry this might sound stupid, but the ski is around 500 miles away at the moment so it's pretty hard for me to go down in the garage and have a look :) I'll be there next week to tryout your idea.

No problem. I'm not sure but if it only says maintenance it would be literally a maintenance issue as long as there were no problems running however it sounds like your going into limp mode. I think to pull the codes up you hit the set button 5 times and it may give you a code number but again I have to defer to a more skilled tech. Good luck

Searching around a little and one of the more experienced guys mentioned that the maintenance signal often refers to a fuel probLem, the di's are bad on the fuel pumps, so download the manual check out that section. Also, I think you clear the maintenance signal by hitting the set button twice. I'll keep my eyes open for any more post that have similar problems to yours. Good luck

Thanks a lot! Sounds interesting! I also ordered an interface to check out the error messages and for all the engine management. Once again I have absolutely no idea what i'm doing, but what the hell.. let's give it a shot. I'll post my epic fails later, when the ski is finally ruined.

nope actually no problem to start. just that damn red light and limp mode after 2 mins. of driving

Hey guys!
My problem got worse. Now the whole damn thing won't start anymore.
I bought an interface and get the following two error message: P0220 meaning MAG TPS out of range?
What does that mean?

The other one is:
P1601: Diagnostic connector cap missing. I don't think this is a real problem.

Basically when i try to start the jet it just sounds like as if it doesn't have any fuel. Any hands on tricks or ideas that might fix this? I fear it has something to do with the fuel injection...

did anybody have the same troubles?

cheers

Interface

Thanks a lot! Sounds interesting! I also ordered an interface to check out the error messages and for all the engine management. Once again I have absolutely no idea what i'm doing, but what the hell.. let's give it a shot. I'll post my epic fails later, when the ski is finally ruined.

KRMBO, where did you order the interface from to read the engine codes?
Having same issue with my 03 and would like to get more info

KRMBO, where did you order the interface from to read the engine codes?
Having same issue with my 03 and would like to get more info

hey.

i ordered it from ebay - somewhere in poland.
but the problem still exists. I had the DI checked by the official seadoo guy in croatia.
he said: great ski, awesome engine, electronic = catastrophic.

and even worse: not fixable.
He tried everything and i spent a few hundred euros on trying to fix the issues.
Nothing helped.

now it's back at the mechanic again, will pick it up in 3 weeks and let you know if anything changed.

Sometimes everything worked fine and sometimes the red light comes up after a few minutes.
When turn the ski off and back on again. The red light is gone. It's up to you, if you have the guts to try that on open sea :)

btw:
the issue with the ski not starting has been solved.
Problem was, we used the wrong engine oil. There is a special seadoo engine oil for this rotax engine. it costs much more, but if you use anything else you will kill the engine. at first I thought this is just a marketing gag, but once we used the seadoo oil everything worked well.

Hey guys!
My problem got worse. Now the whole damn thing won't start anymore.
I bought an interface and get the following two error message: P0220 meaning MAG TPS out of range?
What does that mean?

The other one is:
P1601: Diagnostic connector cap missing. I don't think this is a real problem.

Basically when i try to start the jet it just sounds like as if it doesn't have any fuel. Any hands on tricks or ideas that might fix this? I fear it has something to do with the fuel injection...

did anybody have the same troubles?

cheers

P0220 - you have an issue with the front (nearest the nose) cylinder. I'm dealing with that right now with a 2000 GTX DI and am struggling to fx it without a new/swapped MPEM. The P1601 is not an issue at all - ignore it.

Our machine starts just fine but it's just not firing on the Mag cylinder at all. Coil/lead/plugs are good. Power to the coil is there just no signal is being sent to "fire".

I was discussing this on another forum (I don't know if I can mention the name so I won't. This is the reply. But remember mine will start.

Mods - If I am doing wrong by posting this, please let me know. It's unintentional and I'm just trying to help a Forum member.

I am getting these codes:

P0220 Mag TPS out of range
P0351 Mag Ignition Primary Circuit Failure
P1103 PTO TPS Adaptation Failure

Here was the reply to my question -

The most likely cause is a bad connections at the MPEM. I suspect you have corrosion on the pins of the #3 connector, because you have multiple issues with things at that connector.

Let me first tell you how the MPEM throws the above faults. The MPEM supplies +5 VDC power out to the TPS senders, and expects a voltage within a certain range to come back to it. The voltage level it expects to see back is translated into a value called the Adaptation voltage. Your MPEM is not seeing any voltage coming back from the MAG TPS, that is why the out of range fault is displayed. And it is seeing an incorrect value for the PTO TPS.

On the ignition coils, the MPEM supplies power to the coils, and expects to see back +12 volts on the other pin. If it sees nothing, then it throws that fault you are seeing.

Here is what you need to do. Before you do anything else, please buy yourself a quantity of #55 drill bits to test the connectors. (Do NOT use anything else to probe the MPEM connectors! The pins on the MPEM connectors are extremely fragile and will get damaged if you try to use anything else!)

Here's where you can get them cheaply:

http://www.amazon.com/SE-Drill-Set-5...m_sbs_indust_1

If you live near a major city, many industrial supply places also sell these drills. You will need at least three of them.

The #55 drill bits are .052 diameter, which is the size of the MPEM pins.

While you are waiting to get the drill bits, inspect the MPEM connector #3. Pull off the connector, and you will see the part that faces the MPEM has two tabs on the sides. You will need to remove this facing part of the connector by using a small screwdriver to pop open the tabs so you can take off the front part of the connector. Once you have the front part off, the connector contacts will be fully exposed. Inspect the connector contacts for any sign of corrosion using at least a 10X magnifier. If you see a lot of green contacts, this is your problem and you need to buy new contacts and replace the green ones. If there is no sign of corrosion, continue.

Once you have purchased and received the drill bits, you will use them to check the integrity of the MPEM connector contacts. Insert the shank end of the bit (NOT the end of the drill that has the sharp points) into the connector contacts on #3 connector, and feel for the resistance as you slide it in and out. You should feel a slight amount of resistance to inserting and withdrawing the drill. And a good test is to insert the drill and turn the connector upside down, the drill bit should stay in the connector.

If the contact is not corroded and you don't have resistance, you can fix the pin by bending inward the three tabs on the contact barrel. Then retest with the drill bit.

Besides using the drills for testing contact integrity, you will use them to probe the pins. Using your meter, put drill bits in contacts 3-21 and 3-22 and check for near zero ohms. (actually .5 ohms, but most meters are not this precise)

If you have infinity, then you have a wiring or coil problem to track down. If you have .5 ohms (and didn't have any issues with the the contacts, like corrosion or loose contacts that you fixed) then it looks like an MPEM problem)

Repeat this test on the 3-5, 3-10, and 3-14 contacts for the MAG TPS. You should have readings between 1000 and 2400 ohms depending on which pair you measure. If you have infinity; same thing as the ignition coil, you have a wiring or TPS problem to track down.

wow. many thanks.
as i have not really an idea about what this is all about exactly, i will just pass this to my mechanic and tell him to check :)

but from what i understand it sounds as if this could be the problem.

I hope you get it working. Sadly a DI may be worth more in pieces than a whole ski.

The 11 year old electronics are just cost prohibitive to fix...

The XP is however a great ski!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back