2004 seadoo sporster

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

need for speed

flooded with water how can this happen
started on land ok
would not start in water
motor was flooded with water exhaust also :rofl:
155 horse 4 stroke
after all the water was removed it runs find but haven't tried it in the water again

Last edited by a moderator:
Water?

First, I'd kinda need to know what model you have. The 4-TEC or the DI? But I'd say off the top of my head, you've either blown a head gasket or your gasket at your tuned exhaust system is blown. Let me know what type engine you got.....

Bummer!

It's hard to believe an engine that new has popped a head gasket. With the closed loop cooling system and you've stated there was water in the exhaust, I'd almost bet, the exhaust cooling sytem (which is supplied by water through the pickup tube in the jet pump housing) has blown a gasket somewhere near the engine block, allowing water to run down into the cylinders.
Have you done a compression test yet? If you haven't already done it, remove the spark plug wires, attach them to their grounding posts, then remove the plugs. Roll the engine over till there is no more water coming from the plug holes. Then, you'll need to get some Bombardier spray lube (cosmoline or WD-40) and spray into each plug hole. Then you'll need to spray through the air induction too. Take off as much of the cowling as you can to get the closest route from the can to the intake of the engine. I'm hoping you've already done this. Water moisture sitting in that engine will start to rust pretty fast. That will be really bad for your repairs.
FYI...A newly rebuilt engine for your model will run you anywhere from $1800 to $2100 with a rebuildable core.

2004 sporster

the water was removed
cylinders fogged
and the oil was changed three times to make shure all the was water out of the crank case
seadoo dealer thought it could been from hose be hooked up to the machine on land
hose in the wrong place filling up exhaust to the cylinders

very possible!

Yes....that is a possibility. The drawings in the manual do look like that can happen.
Seems like you covered your bases on getting the water out. Did you do a compression test? In the manual there is a section devoted to water flooded engines and what to do. Also, there are a series of air tests that you can do to find out what happened and where the water entered your system.
We offer this manual through premium membership and also be capable of offering more detailed help due to your being able to view the step by step procedures too!

2004 sportster

the service was done by the dealer
as i bought the boat as is because it would not roll over in the water
i just want make shure this was the problem before i put the boat back in the water this spring
this was the only explanation the seadoo dealer could come up with
can water come into the exhaust if the boat is put into the water to fast or on a sharp angle

I think anything is possible...

Yeah, I can see that as a possibility but think it highly unlikely. It would have to be put in the water really fast.
The most likely way to get water into your exhaust system is from towing the boat with another boat over the recommended speed. What hapens: as the boat is being towed, the water pressure building in the nozzle will supply water pressure into your tuned exhaust system. Without the engine running to keep the water blown out, it will build in the exhaust system until it dumps over the exhaust loop into the exhaust manifold and into the engine.
A more likely cause is going to be from a bad/cracked exhaust manifold or gaskets that seperate the water cooling system of the tuned exhaust and the engines exhaust gases.
This engine has two cooling systems. The closed loop, which is coolant stored in a tank that has anti freeze in it and maintains engine temperature and the open loop, which is coolant picked up from the water outside the boat and is used in the heat exhanger for the engine coolant and the exhaust system.

2004 sporster

if the gasket was gone on the pump would water come in the motor
could this pump seal be worn out from starting engine on land

Pump?

I dont' think it would be coming from your engine's (water pump) pump that is used to circulate water through your ride plate. That's where the heat exchanger is for your closed loop system. I think it may be coming from your open loop system, which recieves water from your "Jet Pump" when it's in the water. Or the water hose when it's out. On land, engines tend to run well with the water hose because your not putting the engine under a load. Your not building water pressure with your jet pumps water nozzle. In the water, with WOT (wide open throttle), you can build a good bit of water pressure on your exhaust system. If there is a weak area on one of the gaskets, at peak pressure, this gasket can allow water to flow in where it shouldn't. Like the way a head gasket on your car motor seperates the water and oil side from the combustion chamber. Things get hot and expand and if the gasket has been damaged, then the water will pass through.
If your coolant level isn't droping, then it's going to be your open loop system. I think we've already covered that. There are a series of air test. I think I've told you about them too. These test are used to determined that all the liquid and gas systems that travel along with each other but are to remain seperate from each other, are indeed being kept seperate. If you've got a mechanic, ask him about the air test on your cooing system to the exhaust. He should know how to do it and it shouldn't cost you an arm and a leg. It's not that hard to do with a standard hand pump. Don't quote me, but I think the test pressure was 10 psi.
Good luck and I hope this is of some help!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back