2004 SeaDoo GTX Wakeboard Edition Gear Slipping??

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

CandyManChris

Hey Everyone,

I am very new to this forum, so please go easy on me :) This year my family purchased a 2004 SeaDoo GTX Wakeboard Edition. When trying to toe someone on a wakeboard [or even if there is someone heavy on the PWC (220+ pounds) trying to go for a ride[ and giving it all the throttle, it seems like the engine is work very hard to get the person out of the water and it almost sounds like the gear is slipping. Sort of like a differencial in a car. I am not entirely familiar with the mechanical workings of these water crafts, so ANY help is greatly appriciated. Should this engine slipping be happening? Is it a built in feature of the GTX Wakeboard Edition?

Regards,

Chris MacIntosh

I didn't have any place to start looking until you responded ;) I will definitely take a look into that. I was wasn't sure if it was some sort of feature on the Wakeboard models... but I don't think it is at all

Definately not a feature. Are you getting high RPMs without speed?? Is the engine bouncing off the rev limiter?? If this is happening it is likely the wear ring, impeller or both. What is the ski like with only one person??

Under normal riding conditions you should be able to hit the throttle the RPM should jump to 6-7k and you should take off without ever hitting the rev limiter. When towing someone...you may hit the limiter but you should get up to speed pretty quick.

Is it a supercharged model? What top speed and RPMs are you getting? Answering these will help us diagnose the problem better.....but from what you are telling us, I would say wear ring.

Hope this helps!

Matt

I am getting around 6800rpm's and a top speed (on relatively easy water) around 62mph. Take off is a bit sluggish, but doesn't do the bouncing off the rev limiter like when toeing someone. I have a friend that has a 2005 GTX, but not the 4-tech like we have (his is the 2-stroke) and his is loads faster out of the gate. I am thinking I should win because I have 20 more HP than he does. If I am trying to toe a 220 pound man on a wakeboard, I will without a doubt pound of the rev limiter for a solid 5-10 seconds until he is out of the water. The wakeboard we are using is pretty good. I don't think it is the problem. It is not the supercharged model. It is the 155hp 4tech model

from a stop when u hit the gas with ONLY you on it does it plane quick? and does if feel like its cavitating? Get right under it and look through the intake and see if you have anything stuck in the grate or a bad wear ring and or impeller.

It is in the shop right now, so I will ask the mechanic to take a look at it. I am not entirely sure what cavitating means, but with only me on it, I would say if I hit the gas the engine would rev and bounce off the rev limiter for a second or a second and a half. The back end seems to tuck down. A slight lag in power delivery while the engine feels like it is trying to engage and then once it engages it pulls out of the water and quickly gains momentum.

Wear ring?.......

Not to sure about the wearing ring but won't say it isn't. The only reason, is once the wearing ring looses it's tolerance, you shouldn't be able to accelerate to top end speed (which I think he quoted as 62).

There are two things I would look at. First, the possibility of sucking in air at the shaft seal, from the engine compartment.

Second, the weight of the person your trying to haul up on a wake board. At 220 pounds, if this person is in-experienced at wake boarding, he may be causing your ski to load up, then loose pressure momentarily in the nozzle. You've got to remember, the torque and performance of a jet pump craft isn't only determined by the engines horsepower. It's determined by the ability to build forward momentum. If you go to high revs and the initial output of the ski cannot obtain momentum to build more force in the low pressure side of the pump, then your not going to get any more nozzle pressure than what you have initially. If this 220 pound person is on the ski, then imagine you riding your bike up hill. It's harder to peddle. Now, have another person sit on the back seat of the bike and try riding up the hill. It's twice as hard to do it. The ski feels the same pain in trying to break the initial friction of floating in the water to getting on plane. Once on plane, friction is a lot less, you probably don't have as much problems. You don't state your weight, so I don't know if your exceeding the weight limit of the craft. It will normally be between 400 to 600 pounds. Now that not just people, but everything else you have on board too.

I'll give you an example to help you understand the theory. While your at WOT, look behind you. Look at the amount of nozzle blast you have. Some of that is caused by the engines horsepower, but a great percentage of it is made in the momentum of the craft. The faster you go, the more water you force into the low pressure (suction grate) of the compressor (pump), so the more pressure you get at the outlet of your nozzle.

Now, nose your ski into a bulkhead somewhere. In a manner safe for you to go to WOT without doing any damage to you or the ski. Now, go to WOT. In a second of so, look behind you. Compare the nozzle blast you see at the stand still and the one you see while moving. Notice the difference?

When the clearance in the wearing ring is lost, you'll normally not be able to generate enough thrust to even get on plane, much less hit 62 mph.

I hope this gives you a little more insight into what may be happening while your wakeboarding.

You also don't mention why the ski is in the shop. I would also like to make clear, that I'm not dismissing the wearing ring posts made by the other members because if it's just starting to wear a little, their statements can also be true. So, here you have alot of input..........something to work with.:cheers:

:agree: with snip it might not be a wear ring, My wear ring had about 2mm missing from the whole bottom half and would hit the limiter when trying to plan but once on plane it would read 40-45 and i have the same motor as u and my boat is 500lb more then you pwc not including me and the two good lookin ladies in the boat..... check the ring if its ok then rule that out. But i think that snips advise might be right aswell he know his way around seadoo's and alway has good advice...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back