2004 Sea Doo GTX Supercharged high RPMs and losing coolant. Please help!!!

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

CJ13

Hello. I just purchased a 2004 Sea Doo GTX supercharged with 210 hours on it and only 10 hours on the rebuilt supercharger. However it seems to have 2 problems:

1) When driving it seems to be bogged down and rev very high RPMS until it reaches about 20 mph. Once it hits that it runs fantastic. I am concerned with the RPMS running that high as it does not seem normal. I can be going 5, 10, or 15 mph and the RPMS will be around 6000 or more.

2) It is also going through coolant like crazy. I have only put about 8 hours on it since I got it and have used almost 2 bottles of coolant. Is this normal? Is this do to the engine running at the high rpms?

When I remove the seat the engine hull is completely drive but you can smell the coolant.

If anyone one has any suggestions or could steer me in the right direction it will be greatly appreciated. Hoping this an inexpensive easy fix for both problems.

Thanks for your help.

CJ, first things first. Since coolant is critical to engine life expectancy, you need to pressure check the cooling system to find out where the leak is. Once that's fixed, you need to inspect the drive system. I don't know how knowledgeable you are on PWC, but if the engine output is a driveshaft (direct drive) to the impeller. If the engine is running at 6K RPM, and you aren't going anywhere, there is a problem in the propulsion system. From what you've described, it sounds mechanical. Where are you in FL?

Check this thread out for the pressure test. http://www.seadooforum.com/showthread.php?72609-2012-GTI-130-Coolant-in-Hull

Here's the link to your shop manual just in case you don't have it: http://www.sea-doo.net/SHOPMANUALS/PWC/2004/smr_2004_lineup_a.pdf

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you for your response and I am located in Lakeland, FL. The ski goes it just seems to rev very high then once it hits 18 to 20 it runs fine. I am not very knowledgeable at all but I will look into the information you sent. Thank you once again.

Thank you for your response and I am located in Lakeland, FL. The ski goes it just seems to rev very high then once it hits 18 to 20 it runs fine. I am not very knowledgeable at all but I will look into the information you sent. Thank you once again.

Issue Number 1: You have a leak in your cooling system. You need to find it ASAP, it´s not normal.

Issue Number 2: Probably you are experience some "cavitation" on the propulsion system. You can find some threads I post about it, and I have the same ski than yours.
In my case, the "wear ring" was toasted... I changed and now it is great, no more "cavitation".

Regards,

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back