2004 Sea Doo Challenger X

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello everyone, I have owned several jetskis but never owned a boat and I need some help, I am looking online at a 2004 Sea Doo Challenger X and I want to know if this is a good boat to buy and if it is what to inspect, I also want to know if there are replacement parts available, thank you all in advance.

I believe it has the merc 240 EFI

Get any and all info you can on its service history. If possible get Compression Test done, Should be 140 on all cylinders.

Great motor if well maintained, plan on getting a service manual as most of the service you can do yourself. Some merc dealers will not touch it even thou it is basically an outboard merc on a jet pump.

Most mechanics shy away from them. If you can do your own work and the boat checks out, especially the motor. I wouldn't be scared of it.

again try and get all history on the motor, compression test, actually run it in the water (Just cause it runs good in on a hose doesn't mean it runs good under a load in the water) These motors have their own quirks but very easy to do your own maintenance.

I have a 2001 version of that engine. Still runs strong. Your potential boat has updated electrics and oiling pump. Much better system.

If compression and water test are OK, I would not be afraid of it. Be aware, that you will probably have to do all your own maintainence. SeaDoo dealers won't touch it and most (almost none) Merc dealers won't touch it either. Some kind of spat when the 2 companies ended their business together. Merc techs don't like standing on their heads either. There will be a certain amount of that.

As for parts, some are very expensive, but can be found. After all, Merc used that powerhead for decades. If you can get a Merc dealer to connect it to their computer and d/l the engine hours, that might be educational.

Does it have the wakeboard tower? Look for cracks on the glass/gelcoat and at welds of the tower.

Thank you very much for the advise guys but I think I will pass, I will just wait for a boat with regular sea doo engine, if anybody here has a boat for sale I will be happy to consider it, have about 10k to spend maybe a little more for the right boat.

You have the right decision to do it.... I have mine like Tim75 240 M2 Merc Engine Gen. 1... It still runs strong but i'm afraid one day it will fall apart and parts are hard to find with OEM parts some are not available anymore brand new.... I would recommend if you buy jet boat.... yamaha jet boats are my preference since they are still making jetboats and parts are really easy to find although I like Mercury manual more than Yamaha manual but at least for Yamaha jet boats most Yamaha mechanics and dealership will take care of it if it is out of your scope of repair as a DIY.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back