2004 GTX 4Tech 155 Wear Ring Replacement Issues (w/ pics)

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

Scriz

My wife sucked up some rocks on her 2004 GTX 155 so I ordered a new wear ring (part # 267000419). I pulled the pump off and encountered an aftermarket prop (Solas) and wear ring (unknown brand; damage inside the ring from rocks, not removal). I know the previous owner embraced a more forum over manufacturer process of maintenance (oil in cone instead of grease on my 2008 Wake 215, non XPS oil for oil changes, etc). I recently replaced the wear ring on my Wake 215, so I am familiar with how they wear ring should fit, but when I dropped the new one into the GTX, it spun freely. There was also no neoprene seal on the old wear ring as it had a rubber lip that seemed to seal it to the hull. The PO also removed the lock screws from the pump that lock on the wear ring. We had a non-rainy day coming up, so I just slapped everything back together and had a day on the water. Once we got back, I pulled the pump back off and noticed the ring was spinning in the pump housing (picture attached. The ring has been flipped in the image as it fell out when I was pulling everything apart). Also, the top speed was about 45, so I know it wasn't right at all. I am trying to figure out my next step and was wondering a couple things:

1.) Is the part # for the wear ring right? Everywhere I looked says it is right, but it is certainly loose.
2.) Are the the set screws and the seal the mechanism for holding the ring in place? I ordered the parts from the warehouse, so I am hoping this is the easy fix.
3.) From my research, it looks like the original ring that I removed was from a GTX DI style, not a 4Tech. Does this matter? It was hard to get out, so I know it fits tight. Is this a viable option for replacement?
IMG_0514.jpg
IMG_0511.jpg
Thanks for the help.

Attachments

• IMG_0512.jpg
    IMG_0512.jpg
    340.5 KB · Views: 9
Those set screw a trouble,,,you pt them in a few thou too much and the prop will bind,,,these days,, screws,,,and a super thin layer rtv silicone on the inner an outer edges of the ring…

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back