2003 Utopia fuel problems?

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

Heatsink56

Greetings all, Well we just bought a 03 utopia 185, after reading i'm 99 percent sure i have the 240 merc 2nd gen motor ( i will confirm tonight ), any ways the boat ran fine for the guy that we bought the boat from. we went to the lake yesterday. it started just fine and we got off the trailer, drove to the dock, loaded up passengers and took off made it about 200 yards and it sputter and died and would not start again. we dropped anchor and friend went to open the latch to get to the motor and broke the latch. so with a 10 mm wrench i unscrewed the latch from the deck ( took about 30 mins ) after exposing the motor. friend noticed the top fuel pump was extremely hot to the touch. after we sat there and every thing cooled it started and we idled back to the dock. so i'm asking for a couple of things. 1 parts list for this motor? exploded view of it? part number or replacement numbers for both fuel pumps? Am i looking in the right direction for trouble shooting. fyi motor was no where hot like the top fuel pump. so i don't think it was thermal shutdown. i'll check the pee hole but when i had the garden hose connected to it to test start it, i saw water trickle out of small hole on the rear bumper? Thanks in Advance and even with starting problems we are excited to have it.

Parts list is in the parts book. Or online from a Merc parts seller. You will need your s/n.

Never heard of a fuel pump getting hot. Try it on the trailer. Just turn key to RUN. It should thump thump for a few seconds, then shut off. Your ECM controls that pump.

While you are checking that, check your fuel pressure at the "tire valve" on the side of the engine. Should be 36 psi. Should maintain while engine is running.

Have you checked any of the fuel filters? There are 3.

You should have flow from the pee hole. That is normal, if you have enough pressure.

Thanks i'll look into these and no a tune up is on my list.. bought the boat 2 weeks ago and it ran fine for the guy i bought it from so just weird now.

just figure I would do an update on this.. I ended up taking the boat to a shop and they couldn't find anything wrong with it.. no computer error codes and every thing rang just fine. we went ahead and put a new fuel filter on it just because and it has been running fine every since.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back