2003 Utopia does not go over 3500 RPM

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jayzuks

Hi All,

I have a 2003 Utopia Optimax 250 that will not go over 3500 RPM. Boat sat for 3 years but she fired right up runs great until 3500 RPM, acts like its starving for fuel. She tries to get up on plane but then starts cutting out. Does not die but almost like she choking out. I replaced the plugs and same issue. Any ideas on what is causing it?

Thanks,

Jayzuks

did you check compression when you replaced the plugs?

have you checked for water in the fuel? drained the fuel seperator and changed the fuel filter?

Hi All,

I have a 2003 Utopia Optimax 250 that will not go over 3500 RPM. Boat sat for 3 years but she fired right up runs great until 3500 RPM, acts like its starving for fuel. She tries to get up on plane but then starts cutting out. Does not die but almost like she choking out. I replaced the plugs and same issue. Any ideas on what is causing it?

Thanks,

Jayzuks
did you check compression when you replaced the plugs?

have you checked for water in the fuel? drained the fuel seperator and changed the fuel filter?

standing on the back looking at the motor it is on the left side, you will see engine oil tank and further back is the fuel pump, fuel separator and fuel filter attached to it. Bolt on back to drain it.

Not a bad idea to change fuel filter.

I don't have any pics with me to post.

This is pic of an outboard opti but you get the idea. drain is on very back end of aluminum fuel separator.

Attachments

• index.jpe
    index.jpe
    12.1 KB · Views: 18
I had a Yamaha F115 that wouldn't go past 4000 rpm, I had just bought it and fuel pressure etc was good. I drained the tank, new filters, fresh fuel and 6000 rpm!

Again this isn't the same one but similar and you can see the bolt on the back side that you open to drain the fuel, make sure you have a clean container that you can catch the fuel in so you can see if there is water in it.

This is the part Number for the Fuel Filter for the 250 Optimax
QuickSilver 18458Q4 Water Separating Fuel Filter

Attachments

• 20448-mercury-mariner-fuel-vapor-separator-1998-2010-200-225-hp-dfi-856984-14.jpg
    20448-mercury-mariner-fuel-vapor-separator-1998-2010-200-225-hp-dfi-856984-14.jpg
    122.5 KB · Views: 18
All the above is good stuff. Old fuel... drain it. New filters, always good. BUT... 3500 rpm is a magic number. Look in your helm for an extra box with a bunch of wires. If you see it... it's the throttle guardian. Take it out, and toss it in the trash.

Again this isn't the same one but similar and you can see the bolt on the back side that you open to drain the fuel, make sure you have a clean container that you can catch the fuel in so you can see if there is water in it.

This is the part Number for the Fuel Filter for the 250 Optimax
QuickSilver 18458Q4 Water Separating Fuel Filter
Sweet many thanks, I'l do it tomorrow and keep you posted.

JZ

I don't have any pics handy... but if you look in the helm, near the fuse block... if there's another box with wires... that's probably it.

my 2005 Optimax did not have one in it and no signs that there was one and it was removed. Maybe they stopped using them by 2005.

Yep... it was a factory "Safety" item. But to me... it was just a pain in the butt. It was an afterthought, and didn't work all that well. The funny thing is... it's not on any of the wiring diagrams. (not from Seadoo or Mercury)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back