2003 Sportster hull drain?

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bret89

Recently bought a 2003 Sportster 4tec. I’m a novice seadoo boat owner. That being said, this may be a dumb question. Under the operators seat, there’s a drain hole that is connected to a pipe that runs all the way to the stern and come out near the pump. The outlet is kind of cone shaped and is open on the side facing down to the water. Inside that is a plastic ball. When I stop the boat, water comes from that pipe and flows back inside the hull where then operators feet would be. It’s not a lot of water, but enough to splash with your feet. Is this normal? I’m guessing that the idea is that when the boat stops, that plastic ball is supposed to float into the pipe and keep water from flowing in? After being stopped
For several minutes, I can take off again and the water flows back down the pipe.

I had a Four Winns Fling jet boat and I wish it had something like that on it. It just had a drain but I don't recall any water coming up through it. I would suspect your guess is correct. That ball has to be there for a reason and it would make sense to keep the water out when coming to a stop.

It's known as a scupper valve. It drains deck areas but the ball is intended to float when in the water so it acts a a one way check valve. Your ball is probably damaged or maybe just blocked like some debris like a leaf stopping it from sealing on it's seat.

Sumting wong with scupper drain, should be easy fix! Check for leaves/debris, scupper rubber gasket ball seat & ball. The hollow ball floats up and seals against the gasket. Might be missing something like gasket? Wet/dry vacuum and garden hose help flush out the drain hose, don't over pressurize and potentially burst the hose!

Above top right of this current page you should find a link for Seadoo electronic parts diagrams.

Good luck and happy boating! :)

My 06 was doing the same thing. Put a new scupper on last summer, and barely get any water now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back