2003 Sportster 4tec - Starter Issue?

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

shamski

Was out for the first time today with her (weather here has sucked for months), and it issues began ... she started fine in the driveway, but at the lake wouldn't turn over. Pressing the ignition button, just caused the solenoid to fire, and then a click from the starter. Arrrggg!

After much other research (electrical cables, fuses, grounds, etc), theorizing, etc ... tried again, but kept the ignition button down to repeatedly fire. 5-6 single clicks, and then got a double click, and a few more doubles, and then she fired up. Shut it back down tried again -- double click started. Tried again and fired first try. Started fine rest of the day.

Did have one other check engine mishaps while on the water, where the light came on, and the boat went into cripple mode -- didn't care what throttle it just limped along. Took her to shore, turn the boat off and tried again, and started fine and had no issues the rest of the day.

Sounds like starter issues ... right? If so, repair or replace, and how much of a contortionist must I be (I'm 6'2 and 200+) to get at it. Or could it be something else?

As to the check engine light on ... is there a non-dealer reader for BUDS? Would be nice to know why the check engine came on.

Thanks in advance for input.
shamski

Sounds like your battery is the problem....many weird problems will arise if you don't have a fully charged battery. Boat batteries will usually have a life of approx. 3 years...so I would start there first.

I agree with thor7000, check the battery first. Next, you may want to check the start solenoid to make sure it is functioning correctly b/c it can cause the type of starting problems you are experiencing. You may need to check the shop manual on proper testing procedure, but if it won't start (using the start button) try to 'jump' the two terminals of the solenoid with a wrench or screwdriver. If it starts by jumping the solenoid you know it is not the starter but the relay itself.

As for the aftermarket code reader, there is one out there; check out http://candoopro.com/index.php
I think it costs about $00, and I recall at least one member of the forum who purchased it and was happy. Search the treads.

Good luck and I hope you find an easy fix for the problems!
--Deven

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back