2003 SeaDoo Islandia, safe buy?

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ehughes413

I’m currently looking at a 2003 SeaDoo Islandia, I’ve heard horror stories but I’m wondering if this ones a safe buy. Overall seems to be in good shape. 200 hours Impeller drive system has been rebuilt recently (with receipts). 115psi in all cylinders (is that a little low?) I’m new to boating and I’m looking for something reliable that won’t cost me too much (at least as far as boats go lol). I’ve also heard jet drives can’t be kept in the water all season, is this true? Think it’s a safe buy? Thanks In advance!

compression seams low but if all cylinders have the same it should be fine. also depends on how it was checked to get the right reading.

My 2002 Challenger with the 240EFI has 150-160 psi on all cylinders. Is yours the model with the alternator? I've heard those are more reliable? (someone correct me if I'm wrong). Bought ours last season & had it out probably over a dozen times for all day trips, everything went off without a hitch except for a belt that the boat shredded, but I changed it and there's been no problem since.

I had a friend who happens to be a marine mechanic thoroughly go over the engine before purchase, I would suggest you do the same.

Last edited:
I’m currently looking at a 2003 SeaDoo Islandia, I’ve heard horror stories but I’m wondering if this ones a safe buy. Overall seems to be in good shape. 200 hours Impeller drive system has been rebuilt recently (with receipts). 115psi in all cylinders (is that a little low?) I’m new to boating and I’m looking for something reliable that won’t cost me too much (at least as far as boats go lol). I’ve also heard jet drives can’t be kept in the water all season, is this true? Think it’s a safe buy? Thanks In advance!
I own a 2001 Islandia with 240 Optimax
I hate to say it, but I’d run for the hills from this boat...not because it isn’t fun and functional but because finding / affording parts and someone to service it is an absolute joke. Quite possibly the worst co-op (SeaDoo & Mercury) that I’ve ever seen. This boat has probably done irreparable harm to both brand names.

These motors are basically a Mercury 240 EFI or 250 Optimax Outboard motor that is set up on a Jet pump. I have had no issue finding parts for mine. If the Maintenance is done properly they are great motors.

Many shops do not want to touch them just because it is in a seadoo and they bad break up between the 2 companies. If you are a decent mechanic you can do all the basics with the guidance of the shop manual and advice from guys on here like Tim75 or DrHonda and others (although we haven't heard much from DR in awhile)

DrHonda is still around. He’s just been super busy with other things.
Your best bet when looking for someone to work on one is to find a small shop. All of them can work on Mercury engines. This one is no different. But it’s harder to get to since it’s not hanging off the back of a boat. Sometimes the mechanics just don’t wanna work that hard. Working on the pump is a completely different issue. If you’re willing to do the work then it’s not hard. Heck, I learned how to work on mine with the help of the guys on here and most of all DrHonda. It took me a while to diagnose my broken reed valve but repairing it was easy.
I also concur, get it looked over by a professional first. If you own one then just make sure you keep up with your maintenance.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back