2003 Optimax 250 Oil Pump / Oil type Switch

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

JayZuk

I have a 2003 250 Optimax that the previous owner had API-TC oil in it and I want to switch it back to TC-W3. I read all the post about not mixing these oil type, so I have drained the the 2 oil tanks, the one mounted on the engine and the reserve tank and filled them with TC-W3, but I am still getting the low oil warning beep, do I need to prime the oil pump and if so how do I do that?

Thanks,
JZ

The low oil sensor is in the small oil tank reservoir mounted on the engine. I read somewhere that the float could get stuck in a low position if you emptied and refilled it. Check to make sure that it isnt stuck or disconnected, and there is no air pocket in the small reservoir.

The reason for not mixing oil is to avoid coagulation and blocking oil lines.

Regarding priming, there are three methods listed in the manual. 2 of which you need a DDT, and one you can do without DDT, but that one initiates an engine break-in oil ratio that doubles oil consumption for the first 2 houors of operation following priming.

OK thanks, I'll check the float, but I did not fill the small tank on the motor all the way to the top. I do not have a DDT and I read it was a discountinued tool. What is the other way to prime the pump, is it something I can do with the boat in the water?

Thanks, JZ

if you didnt fill the small tank all the way to the top, that is probably the source of the alarm.

the small tank is suppose to be filled all the way with no air pockets at all.
You should fill it as much as you can leave it open and idle the engine.
If the big tank is sealed properly, it will pump oil into the smaller tank.
Once the oil starts overflowing, tighten the lid on the smaller tank, and you should not have air pockets in the smaller tank.

If oil in the small tank doesnt increase and overflow with the lid open, then you know you have air leak in the bigger tank. Tighten the lids on the bigger tank and check it again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back