2003 GTX wear ring?

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

archaea

Brand new to me (1 day) 2003 GTX. Suddenly lose power although RPMs stay high. I suspected weed were blocking the intake, so I get it on a hoist and there is a bunch of plastic in the pump.

I pulled the pump out and tore out most of the plastic, but it looks attached to the wear ring in some places, so I suspect it was not sucked in but came from the pump.

Questions: Is the wear ring covered in plastic? There is A LOT of clearance between the impeller and the wear ring, but I don't have a gauge here (I am of course on vacation). The ring is white, the plastic is black.

Can I just replace the ring, or is something else going on with here?

Last, when I removed the cone (don't know if thats the right word) the gear oil was black, does that mean water intrusion? how do you re-fill after intallation?

Thanks in advance, Archae

More then likely you sucked something up in the pump and killed the wear ring. Or your bearings are shot causing your impeller to wobble and shread the wear ring. Water intrusion would cause the oil to become milky white. Check bearings and replace if needed, replace wear ring and once pump is back in place there's a small Allen head set screw on the top of the cone, remove it and SLOWLY fill it back with gear oil till it reaches the hole. Forgot which weight gear oil to use tho. Easy to look it up tho.

More then likely you sucked something up in the pump and killed the wear ring. Or your bearings are shot causing your impeller to wobble and shread the wear ring. Water intrusion would cause the oil to become milky white. Check bearings and replace if needed, replace wear ring and once pump is back in place there's a small Allen head set screw on the top of the cone, remove it and SLOWLY fill it back with gear oil till it reaches the hole. Forgot which weight gear oil to use tho. Easy to look it up tho.

+ 1. What he said.

Some of the original OEM wear rings were 2 piece. A fiberglass outer ring and a plastic inner ring. My inner ring was shredded and blown out the back of the pump. When pulled, the pump bearings were pretty crunchy. Don't know which came first, but a pump rebuild and a single material (Delrin) wear ring fixed it right up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back