2003 GTX SC Questions

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

alexm499

Hello,

I have an 03 GTX SC stock. I want more speed. Im getting cavitation out of the hole when pulling tubes etc. Im sure the wear ring is shot with the stock plastic pump housing. Im hearing mixed reviews on performance when upgrading to the aluminum pump housing with alot saying you lose power and top speed. I want to do some mods like Riva's stage 1 kit, but sourcing the parts on my own because $800.00 is way too much for that kit, and i already have my OPAS held up with PVC identical to RIVA's OPAS hold up part. I guess I am asking if you have experience with this kind of mod, mainly the aluminum pump housing. Ive read I can use the newer RXP/RXT pumps (159mm) with 159mm wear ring and impeller. However, will that plug and play on my 03 which is currently the plastic 155mm. What are your thoughts and experience on this?

Greatly appreciated,
-Alex

I wouldn't change your wear ring to a metal one. Stick with the standard ones. They don't call them "wear" rings for nothing. They're a sacrificial part. If you've got too much wear on your ring, that can dramatically decrease performance. Another issue on your older machine could be the carbon ring and rubber boot. If your boot has lost its spring, or the carbon ring is too worn, that can cause cavitation out of the hole. Check both of them, but more than likely it's time to replace them. That's a bit of a job, though. Coincidentally, we're making a how-to video on that topic. Good luck.

Well, I ordered a stage 1 kit today. but from what ive read and what R&D said, just keep the stock impeller if its in good shape. The Solas 13/20 as recommended by Riva are getting poor reviews and for near $300.00 sounds worthless IMO. I just rebuilt my SC as per your video (thanks 3ftDeep!!!) and i gained some RPM but im still currently running average 58-59 at 7250 RPM. Where are my missing RPMs and speed! :mad:

You should definitely change your plastic pump to the aluminum one. The plastic pump flexes under load and eats wear rings in a little as a couple hours which causes cavitation. SeaDoo knew they had a pump flexing problem even before the production release in 2003 when they upped the hp to 185 but they didn't have time to cast a new aluminum pump. Their bandaid solution was to put a bracket on the right side of the pump tied into the hull which did absolutely nothing as far as pump flex. In late 03 and all 04 models with identical setups had the updated aluminum pump housing. If you complained when it was under warranty, BRP would change the plastic pump to the updated aluminum. I have changed more 03 plastic pumps on 185s than I can count. I have also helped others on here by selling them the SBT aluminum pump replacement at a discount which works just as well as the OEM and is a simple bolt on install.

I have never heard of anyone who has said they have lost performance when switching to the aluminum pump. In fact, it's the opposite where the cavitation is completely eliminated and top end is restored.

In my opinion, modding a 185 is a waste of time. You will spend a lot of money just to get it close to a 215. You should sell the stock 185, and get a 215, then start modding and it will really rip and you'll be money ahead.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, I ordered a stage 1 kit today. but from what ive read and what R&D said, just keep the stock impeller if its in good shape. The Solas 13/20 as recommended by Riva are getting poor reviews and for near $300.00 sounds worthless IMO. I just rebuilt my SC as per your video (thanks 3ftDeep!!!) and i gained some RPM but im still currently running average 58-59 at 7250 RPM. Where are my missing RPMs and speed! :mad:

Let us know if you need anything else. We have it all at PWCMuscle.com! Discount for forum members too.. 10% off.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back