2003 GTX 4Tec idle/rev problem

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

06scoob

From the top!

Inherited a 2003 GTX 4Tec with 74 hours.
have had it for 4-6 months and started it every 2 weeks with the hose hooked up to it to keep battery charged/ oil circulated waiting to get the registration/title transferred

Took it out today for the maiden voyage, started immediately no problem idled out of the no wake zone and slowly accelerated, revved to nearly 5,000 rpm and wouldnt go over 32mph and wouldnt rev past 5k rpm.

Cruised at that speed thinking to myself "idiot you grabbed the bitch key and its limited". So i said screw it i drove about 2 miles up river and the throttle and power started to bog and & droped to 4500 RPM and 22mph and wouldnt go faster than that, if i revved it higher it would bog and loose power.

Throttle down and would slowly pick back up to 4500ish rpm. go to turn around to head back to the dock and it dies, let it sit for a minute and start it back up, fires up no problem (no battery/starter issues)

ride for 5 minutes and still wont rev past 4500 and wont go over 22-24mph
heading towards ramp, and alarm goes off, check engine pops up on digital display and i slow to idle and shut her down.

Take key out, sit for 10 minutes, start it back up, check eng temp and it was at 78, started riding again and it raises to 80 doesnt go over 80 at all, make it back to ramp, let off gas and let it drift in, and it stalls at idle.

make it home and hook it up to the hose, wont start without giving it gas and once it started it wont idle.

im thinking either bad gas from sitting, clogged or stuck injector , or something else.

this is my first PWC and any help is appreciated. i can provide video and pictures if anyone can suggest anything.

Thanks in Advance.

-Zack

Hi Zack, first off you were not reading engine temp. The gauge does not give that info. You were either reading the outside air temp or the temp of the water you are riding in temp. Having said that.........
Replace your spark plugs...(3)NGK DCPR8E and then try it again. 4 TEC spark plugs just hate sitting around without being taken out and run on open water. Next time the "check engine" comes on press the "SET" button 5 times and see if the gauge displays a code ( P-**** ).

Good Luck, DAWG

Dennis, i will try that first, cant hurt it, would pulling & cleaning the spark plugs help at all or if they sit are they bad for good?

i assumed that E Temp stood for engine temp, but makes sense, 78 degrees for an engine seemed pretty cool, however this is my first seadoo and i dont know how cool they run

The plugs are bad for good. Replace them.
The engine temp alarm goes off at around 200 deg F
"E TEMP" stands for exterior temp.
"L TEMP" stands for lake temp.
"H TEMP" means either the engine or exhaust is overheating.

DAWG

Dennis, im changing the spark plugs as we speak the old plugs dont have the silver tip on them and the new ones do, where you plug the coil into, the model number on the new ones are the same as the old ones and also the same model number you listed abov.

The old tips looked threaded which indicates to me that i can unscrew the silver caps, the coils will not fit on the new plugs.. im pretty sure this is what i gotta do just looking for a second answer, hope you see this before the sun goes down.

Thanks man

Unscrew the tips and thro them away.
DAWG

Alright, done and done i figured that out about 5 minutes after i made the post. replaced the plugs. tried to use a hose i had to siphon the gas out of the tank, however i couldnt get it down the fill tube through the gas cap.

Any tips on emptying the gas tank?

As far as the plugs, yea they were brown and nasty on the ends, looked like they had been running really rich, i got pics and are uploading now.

After i got done with that i inspected the intake plate to find about 15 feet of braided fishing line wrapped around the prop shaft right at the back side of the prop. took the intake plate off and cut it all off, however it looked like it had been on there for a long time. so i dont think that was one of the issues

i didnt try to start it as i want to empty the gas tank and fill it with new 93 octane and possibly some fuel/injector cleaner.

do we need to use a special injector/fuel system cleaner on these seadoos or will any injector cleaner work? what is commonly used?

one other thing i noticed was there was considerable amount of condensation in the engine bay, it was very dank and humid inside when i took the cover off and took the seat off. any comments/suggestions on that?

i really look forward to gettin this thing running right so me and the wifey can enjoy it.

she also said we can get some sweet pictures with her on it when we get it goin :) :cheers:

appreciate the input

You'll probably have to remove the fill hose from the tank in order to access the bottom of the tank.
A product called SEAFOAM is supposed to be really good. NAPA and West Marine have it. I'm sure other places do to.
Take a close look at your exhaust hoses in the rear inside of the ski. Make sure all of the big band clamps are good. Any exhaust leak will cause the ski to run bad and water build up inside the ski.

Good Luck, DAWG

P.S. Don't forget to send the pictures. (I don't care about the spark plugs):rofl::rofl:

Last edited by a moderator:
hahahaha, fair enough

ill take a look this afternoon, gonna tackle draining the gas tank after work before i try starting it up

can bad gas fowl plugs?

Old fuel can absolutely foul plugs and I pretty sure it is what causes these 4TECS to have spark plug issues. Don't forget the SEAFOAM and don't over do it. Only add the amount instructed on the bottle.

DAWG

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back