2002 v6 speedster sluggish stalls at full throttle

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello all very happy to be a new member of the site lots of great information very helpful people.
Here we go picked up a 2002 240 efi mercury speedster going to do a full restoration would like to know the best recommended spot to get all replacement sensors, filters etc..
it was a little rough tidied up the wiring tightened loose nuts and bolts got it running off the hose sounded strong so from there put it in the harbor for a trial rip, throttle doesn't seem to start engaging till just under half, Is that normal? seemed to be sluggish getting on plane then at full throttle stalled, Had to put it in neutral and it starts at idle did the same process and the same thing. Any ideas on what I could be checking to get it tuned or what this could be would be much appreciated? Thanks in advance

Check your throttle linkage at the motor to make sure it's moving along with the throttle lever. It may need some adjustment.

Have you serviced anything (plugs, oil, filter)? Have you checked the pump and impeller condition?

Thanks for the replies, Just picked it up 2 weeks ago they said it was running a month ago looking like BS. It was turning over when I looked at it with the hose hooked up but not fire I checked compression on cylinders all good. Took it home dug in and found some loose hots and ground connections and a bit of corrosion on some plug ins cleaned everything and it started so wanted to get it in water with the proper water flow before the snow flies I'm in eastern Canada. Those were the results..
So looking for a place familiar with these mercury speedsters so I can order a kit with filters and by reading the forums sensors as well.
That's what it seemed like dead gas but wasn't sure of the stall at higher throttle but if restricted makes sense. My son and I are going to get this running like new again nice machine.
Not to sure what to look for on the pump and impeller will be changing oil this week any pointers would help. Gel coat is faded bad any suggested kits to bring it back would help to. Winters coming so will have lots of time to put into it.

Thanks for the replies, Just picked it up 2 weeks ago they said it was running a month ago looking like BS. It was turning over when I looked at it with the hose hooked up but not fire I checked compression on cylinders all good. Took it home dug in and found some loose hots and ground connections and a bit of corrosion on some plug ins cleaned everything and it started so wanted to get it in water with the proper water flow before the snow flies I'm in eastern Canada. Those were the results..
So looking for a place familiar with these mercury speedsters so I can order a kit with filters and by reading the forums sensors as well.
That's what it seemed like dead gas but wasn't sure of the stall at higher throttle but if restricted makes sense. My son and I are going to get this running like new again nice machine.
Not to sure what to look for on the pump and impeller will be changing oil this week any pointers would help. Gel coat is faded bad any suggested kits to bring it back would help to. Winters coming so will have lots of time to put into it.
I had the same issue on a completely different boat (93 Mariah with 4.3 Mecruiser). The boat had sat for a couple of years and I bought it to restore. The boat fired up great and would run ok on the hose. But once on the water, it would bog down with full throttle and stall.

I changed the fuel filter and put in several cans of Seafoam in the tank and she ran like a champ.

Depending on the engine, you would be surprised that the Autozone's, Oreilly's and Advanced Auto's of the world have a lot of parts that work with Mercury engines.

As for a website to order parts for Sea-doo's you can't beat seadoopartshouse.com (punch in the year and model and you'll have all the parts you need). They won't be cheap

As for a shop... this is long way from home for you, but Bayview Marina in Celina, OH is an outstanding Sea-doo dealer. bayviewsunandsnow.com

This is the engine and the book I have 2002 v6 speedster
Thanks for the help will check them out

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    87.2 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_20191107_120529 (2).jpg
    IMG_20191107_120529 (2).jpg
    4.2 MB · Views: 15
What is the compression suppose to be on this motor?

In a perfect world, should be 140psi. More likely to be 130psi. Must be checked at WOT. All plugs out.

Seafoam in 2-stroke engine can be very destructive.

Do you have the flywheel cover? Is it round or square-ish? Helps determine if you have a Gen 1 or Gen 2 engine.

The throttle on this engine works like an old 4-barrel carb. The bottom 2 throttle plates open about 2/3, then the upper 2 plates start to open. Then both open together.

One of the first things to check is also easiest. Check the trigger coil and wires. The trigger is under the flywheel, but the wires come out on starboard side, rear. The connector is aft of the flywheel, on top of a small bracket. Inspect the wires (6) going to trigger. Merc used some crappy wire in the early years. It crumbled with age. Check trigger per service book.

Make sure there is water coming out of the pee hole any time the engine is above idle in the water. You may not have enough flow from a hose.

Any Merc dealer can get parts for you. Some have been discontinued. Many are available from ebay. Just make sure you order by engine serial number.

What RPM are you getting at WOT?

For a no-start, check emergency kill switch. If the center plunger on the rubber cap does not fully depress the button on the dash, engine will not start.

For a no-crank condition, check the shifter. It has an interlock so engine cannot start in gear.

There are instructions on changing gear oil at top of this section.

In a perfect world, should be 140psi. More likely to be 130psi. Must be checked at WOT. All plugs out.

Do you have the flywheel cover? Is it round or square-ish? Helps determine if you have a Gen 1 or Gen 2 engine.

The throttle on this engine works like an old 4-barrel carb. The bottom 2 throttle plates open about 2/3, then the upper 2 plates start to open. Then both open together.

One of the first things to check is also easiest. Check the trigger coil and wires. The trigger is under the flywheel, but the wires come out on starboard side, rear. The connector is aft of the flywheel, on top of a small bracket. Inspect the wires (6) going to trigger. Merc used some crappy wire in the early years. It crumbled with age. Check trigger per service book.

Make sure there is water coming out of the pee hole any time the engine is above idle in the water. You may not have enough flow from a hose.

Any Merc dealer can get parts for you. Some have been discontinued. Many are available from ebay. Just make sure you order by engine serial number.

For a no-start, check emergency kill switch. If the center plunger on the rubber cap does not fully depress the button on the dash, engine will not start.

For a no-crank condition, check the shifter. It has an interlock so engine cannot start in gear.

Thank you for the input, looking to buy one from a friend next week and don't know much about it. Figured I'd just check the compression like a jet ski and make sure it runs!

Can you please tell me if there is suppose to be a fiberglass or plastic "access cover" to the motor after you lift up the rear hatch to the motor. All Seadoo jet boats seem to utilize this for rear storage, but the one I am looking at does not have it and I am unclear by the OE parts finder (the dealer was not sure either).

Thanks you!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back