2002 utopia185 - 240 efi fuel pressure to high?

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.
recently started having heavy smoking at idle and low speed. both when first start engine and after running hard.
air temp and cylinder temp sensors all have good resistance . I have a Brucato ECM so TPS is not used.
new plugs, the mark on oil pump linkage is where it is supposed to be.
key on, engine off, the fuel pressure is 35. when I start engine it jumps to 45 at idle, in driveway with hose, soon as I turn off engine it drops back to 35.
Fuel pressure stays at 35 after turning key to on and pumps stop, not leaking down, so I think no leaks in fuel rail or injectors.
manual says it should always be 35psi, even when running.
Diaphragm of FPR holda a vaccum.
Will a new FPR change my idle pressure back down to 35?
I assume a vaccum line feeds FPR,
could I have too much vaccum at idle, or should I have pressure? either way, what is good value to have?
kind of a pricey part to just throw at it.
engine serial # OE373939
thanks
Perry

I had similar problem. 240 efi. Fuel press up to 80 psi. Yes, it smoked a lot. Merc fpr is about $300. I looked on Rock Auto, there are lot of them that are similar, but not quite. They don't spec the pressure either.

I bought an adjustable fpr and it works fine. About $50 and 1.5 hours .

ebay, marine fuel pressure reglator.

Use only Coast Guard approved fuel hose.

DO NOT USE ZIP-TIES ON FUEL HOSE!

thanks for help, I haven't found a single generic regulator that looks like mine anywhere, ebay, amazon , lots of sites. So looking at some mercury ones.

You will not find them that look like your oem reg. The ones on ebay are for after-market performance guys.

new FPR is on and did get the pressure under control.
I need to put hose on it and run it to see if smoking is improved. And then out to the water.

I found this thread from 2016 on installing after market FPR. maybe will help next person.

thanks again for help.

Fuel pressure regulator

finally got to the water, boat runs better, less smoking at idle and virtually none at slow speed and above, so new fuel pressure regulator did the trick. Hot restart seemed better too, only did it once.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back