2002 Utopia, 240 EFI runs on trailer not in water

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

neptune08

I have a 2002 Utopia, starts every time on the first try when dry. Even starts up and runs for a bit in the water. When I go to restart it wont. Sometime it wont even start when I first put it in the water. Motor cranks and sputters but wont catch. Its almost like some electrical switch is preventing it from starting.

What have you checked so far? Also... since you have a 2002... we need to figure out what engine you have. Please post a pic.

DR.
I think its a 2001, I attached some pictures. I also have the 2001 240 M2 manual. We ran some tests as per the manual and it lead us to believe it was the neutral safty switch on the throttle so I replaced it. This is like chasing a lose ground. the previous owner did some electrical "repairs" so I have fixed those. The bilge was replaced and direct wired to the battery with medical tape. I have checked all the fuses under the dash, took the dash off looking for lose wires. Took the rear seat bin out checking those wires. I brought it to one mechanic who would not even touch the boat. The other one charged me 1k to test it and put in some new fuel filters and oil filters and spark plugs. It worked after that for a bit...

Pete

Attachments

• 20180708_175403.jpg
    20180708_175403.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 20
  • 20180708_175319.jpg
    20180708_175319.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 17
  • 20180708_175325.jpg
    20180708_175325.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 22
It's a high serial number... but yes... it's the last of the 2001. That makes is a Gen1 engine.

Since you think it feels electrical in nature... let's go with that. The neutral switch won't kill the engine... but it will keep the starter from spinning. When you were up in the helm, where the fuses are... did you notice another box with wires? If you did... its the throttle guardian. It will cause all kinds of issues. I recommend removing it. Another quick test is to disconnect the Black/yellow wire on the top/rear of the engine. That's the kill wire. It takes a ground to shut off the spark. If you disconnect that, and still have the same problems... then we need to look at a more mechanical issue.

Last edited:
No throttle guardian. So I will pull the black w/yellow tracer on the stern of the motor circled in red, then bring it to the dock to see. Could it be a water sensor?

Attachments

• 20180708_220756.jpg
    20180708_220756.jpg
    4.9 MB · Views: 17
Yep... it's in those wires in your red circle. Since that is the actual kill wire, at the coils... when you turn your key off... it's not going to shut down clean. It's going to stumble, and take a few seconds to shut down as the fuel injection bleeds down. Basically... it has to run out of fuel.

There's no sensor, or other outside part that will "Kill" the engine. The ECU can put it into limp mode... but it will continue to run. Things that can kill the engine are...

1) Bad Throttle Gaurdin
2) Bad Stator
3) Bad Trigger
4) Chaffed wires
5) Bad key switch
6) Bad Safety Lanyard post
7) Bad coil packs (they don't normally kill the engine. just kill spark from their bank)
8) Bad Rev-limiter.

As you see... there's a bunch that can kill the engine... so pulling the wire at the coils will potentially eliminate a bunch of things. If it still does what you are describing... an you still think it's electrical... then you will need to pull the flywheel.

Last thing... take a pressure gauge with you to the dock, and check the fuel pressure too. May as well look at that.

Pulled ground brought to ramp, ran for a while then would not restart. Starter engaged and motor would catch just not run

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back