2002 RXDI sputtering

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

Discobaylou

I just got 2 skis and 1 is a 2002 RXDI with 76 hours on it. The fuel pimp has been changed by Previous owner.
The first time I take it out start it up at dock let idle purrrs like a kitten try and hit throttle dies. Start it up flawlessly again let run longer 3-5 mins hit gas again dies . Then I hold down throttle half way it’s starts up takes off for split second and sputters cuts in and out Boggs down. I can hold it at 3,200 rpm but it cuts in and out if I let off gas dies. If I full throttle it will only go 25 mph if I can even get it to move.

Just bought it and about to sell it !! Please help

Attachments

• CB9E63E3-A1C6-4B82-A9F8-2A8643258BC9.jpeg
    CB9E63E3-A1C6-4B82-A9F8-2A8643258BC9.jpeg
    2.9 MB · Views: 18
Did you change/replace the fuel filters? Check fuel pressure? Throttle position sensor? Sounds like it wants fuel but isn't getting it or it doesn't know you're asking for fuel and your getting too much air. Patience and perseverance usually wins these battles. :)

Any warning or maintenance lights on the display?

The fuel pressure and air pressure from the air compressor are not monitored by sensors. If you have no lights I would look in these areas.

Basic maintenance on a DI fuel system would be to change the two in tank fuel filters and the external fuel filter. Maybe even have the fuel injectors cleaned and flow tested.

Fuel pressure on these are critical. Even a few psi fuel pressure drop it will not run correctly.

Hope this helps

The pump was just changed but the ski wasn’t used in a year or two. New plugs were added fresh gas. New battery. I wonder if it’s the rectifier I not have a issue with the running at idle start right up but as soo as I hit has wondering it 12v isn’t enough for the pump and need the extra juice for he. Fuel pump

How are you verifying the pumps are “bad” are you testing fuel pressure? You need to get a tester and look at what pressure it’s putting out. Then we can move on to troubleshooting other items because fuel pressure is only half of it. Air pressure from the compressor matters too. If both aren’t working properly it will run like crap if at all.

Were is the compressor? Honestly I just got the ski I am very mechanically incline but have never worked on jet skis. I though if a fuel pump was bad you get nothing. I can hold throttle at 50% and it will boog like crazy and sputter let off throttle die. Re start and idle perfect. Were is the air compressor pictures please and thank you I would love to rip this thing on the delta ! I love on the water and it’s killing me not to ride it

So a di Seadoo is not like a vehicle with the fuel system. A fuel pump can be “weak” and not providing enough pressure if day a filter or something is plugged up. Here’s a little summary of how the DI works.

The air compressor (front of engine. Follow the small black hose from the rave solenoid down to it) is a small piston air compressor attached to the balance shaft. It rotates with the motor. The compressor raises the volume of air in the fuel rail allowing the fuel pump to reach 107 psi. This 107 is the magic number. If it’s any lower it won’t run correctly. If the air compressor is leaking or is damaged you won’t get the 107.

You need to test the fuel pressure. I’m having a hard time believing 3 pumps were all bad.

Get a gauge that reads 100 plus psi and put it inline with the fuel supply line. I don’t like to cut the high pressure lines so I made a pressure tester using an old set of Seadoo di fuel lines so I could get the connectors.

I am going to remove the pump if the last owner has installed them and didn’t know what he was doing maybe something is wrong I can bench test the fuel pump

Can not bench test. You need to test it under load. You need the ski in the water with the jet pump submerged. Strap it to the trailer and back it in just until the pump is submerged.

Aww poop I need to get the parts to install a gauge. Is it bad to cut the high pressure fuel lines and just use hose clamps ?

Some do it ... I do not risk it. It’s very high pressure you’re just asking for an accident. Then when you cut it you have to worry about getting it safe afterwards. If you go this route I recommend oetiker clamps only! And double them up.

NAPA can make fuel lines and any kind of manifold you need to connect a pressure gauge. I have a strong feeling the pump isn't the right one, the DI is very picky about which pump is used.

This is the pump that is used. The old owner said he got one that didn’t work new and had a warranty replace it. Is there another one I can use better

Attachments

• 75924D34-600C-4CD9-9EC6-389F7A7DBC76.jpeg
    75924D34-600C-4CD9-9EC6-389F7A7DBC76.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 25
It’s oem or the high flow pump. All others are junk. The high flow people seem to have issues with. I have used 3 not a single issue... key I believe is new filters and a good install.

Aftermarket pumps consume more power than the magneto can produce, for one thing, and the charging system can't keep up. Other pumps just can't produce enough pressure.

There's a patent involved that makes the OEM chosen pump special, but if you've done your homework the pressure gauge should confirm it.

Could be something else going on too, like the manifold air temp connector accidentally swapped with the knock sensor connector? There are a couple connectors easy to get mixed up, I think thats them. Or maybe dirty injectors?

What about priming the pump ? I can get a new pump. And try it again see what happens. The external filter on top of tank do those unscrew or do I have to buy the OEM with lines attached ?

I had one that the air compressor piston blew out of the side of the block. This one ran about 5000 rpm with that much damage. You never know what’s going on until you start doing the diagnostics and eliminating the good pieces.

Aftermarket pumps consume more power than the magneto can produce, for one thing, and the charging system can't keep up. Other pumps just can't produce enough pressure.

There's a patent involved that makes the OEM chosen pump special, but if you've done your homework the pressure gauge should confirm it.

Could be something else going on too, like the manifold air temp connector accidentally swapped with the knock sensor connector? There are a couple connectors easy to get mixed up, I think thats them. Or maybe dirty injectors?
The engine has never been worked on other then the fuel pump and the cleaning of the rave valves. It has 76 hours on it he took really good care of the ski.

I had one that the air compressor piston blew out of the side of the block. This one ran about 5000 rpm with that much damage. You never know what’s going on until you start doing the diagnostics and eliminating the good pieces.
Holly !!! It had a blown air compressor and still ran !

Holly !!! It had a blown air compressor and still ran !

87e1af3f78e34ad836c5ca3204d4110a.jpg
50efaf17f3b9a32ecdfd846461d98068.jpg

Few carnage pics....

You can cut out the old filter and clamp in a new one but you need double oetiker clamps. I use a wix filter from the auto parts store and replace it every year.

87e1af3f78e34ad836c5ca3204d4110a.jpg
50efaf17f3b9a32ecdfd846461d98068.jpg

Few carnage pics....

You can cut out the old filter and clamp in a new one but you need double oetiker clamps. I use a wix filter from the auto parts store and replace it every year.
I will get a kit and cut it out looks like that has never been replaced. They are 3/8 clamps correct

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back