2002 GTX RFI has a lot of cavitation and only runs 48

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

remun

I bought this 2002 GTX RFI a couple weeks ago, first time in the water today. It has a lot of cavitation and the engine revs really high while accelerating from slow speed. It gets up on step ok but it just seems to me it is a little slow accelerating. Tops out about 48, according to my wife on her wave runner. I suspect it is probably the wear ring, an I on the right track? Also, when first accelerating the speedometer will work to about 30 then drops to 0, any suggestions?

Last edited:
Like you said, check the wear rings and swap out the pump oil while you’re at it too.

If that isn’t it make sure raves are set correctly. Some skis I’ve had are picky with raves some don’t change at all.

Jake

I had the same problem. after i installed a new engine from SBT. sounded like it was banging off the rev limiter and going 48 tops.. ended up i pulled the jet pump and swapped it for my friends out of a sportster, suddenly, ran like a champ! actually hit 63 peak mph the speedo said. took my old impeller out, the rear fin on each impeller was bent from a rock it seems. now I'm trying to decide to rebuild my pump, or keep this one, I hear the RFI used a bigger pump "hub", i think the smaller hub will push more water, looking fpor info on this now

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back