2002 Challenger M2 Jetdrive 240 EFI - changing Fuel Oil seperator filter every 1/2 hr

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

atlboo

Aloha Ya'll,

First post. Living in Hawaii but originally from Atlanta. Grew up around boats and am very handy with tools, motorcycles, and handiwork. I don't let the fact I am an Engineer get in the way of fixing things.

Picked up a 2002 Challenger X20 M2 Jetdrive 240 EFI about 2 months ago. Had it out 6 or 7 times and it starts right up (provided it's in neutral and the battery is turned on :)) and runs great. The issue is my fuel / water filter alarm goes off after about 15 or 30 minutes of run time and is full of water. So I unscrew it, dump it, and we are good to go for another 30 minutes. No other noticeable performance issues.

Being new to this engine and to jetboats, where should I start troubleshooting / poking to figure out how water is getting into the system?

1. We have been putting non-ethanol gas in the boat. Been through about three tanks with no difference. Nobody else at the marina reports problems, and it seems like way to much water to be from the fuel or condensation (and we live in Hawaii).
2. I'm, thinking it's very rare to have a hole in the plastic tank. I don't see my gas gauge "magically" filling without adding gas, and there is very little water / fluid in the bilge after a full day of running.
3. I was thinking it could be the seal on the gas cap? I plan to check that out.

I have the engine manual and am still searching /digesting. Didn't see this issue already on the forum, but please point me to the link if it's there.

Thanks ya'll!

did you try buying a new fuel water separator? I know mine would go off a lot before i got a new one

Pour the contents of the spin on filter into a clear jar and allow it to settle a few hours, report if you find water.

Water can enter the tank from a vent, a crack in the top of the tank, or a bad gasket on the fill cap.

Thanks for the advice guys. I actually had PRK eye surgery about a week ago, so haven't been able to check the boat or the forum. I'll take a look next weekend and report back. I suspect the gas cap as well.

Thanks for the advice guys. I actually had PRK eye surgery about a week ago, so haven't been able to check the boat or the forum. I'll take a look next weekend and report back. I suspect the gas cap as well.

I would check the fuel tank vent to make sure it is not cracked or damaged. I broke mine last year and that was the source of water getting into the fuel on a hard turn.

I too am having the same problem. The tank looks fine, I have changed the gasket at the filler. Without changing the entire vent assembly is the "vent fuel surge protector" the main part in this assembly? or where have other known issues been?

Thanks in advance for the help!

You can replace the vent that pokes out the side of the Hull. Also, make sure the O-ring around the fill neck is still good. (They crack, and fall off)

But... if you use some marine stay-bil... it will help pass the water.

Mine appears to be in good shape from the outside....

I may have to take the whole assembly apart to see whats going on. Water has to be coming in from here somehow. Emptying the filter every 30min is a PITA!

Since the water is in there now... you may want to drain some fuel from the tank, until you get clean, water free fuel. That way, you wont' have to fight the filter.

Agreed.....I bought a high flow universal gas pump with couple lengths of 3/8" fuel line last time. This setup hooked up to my battery charger works great for draining tanks.

Agreed.....I bought a high flow universal gas pump with couple lengths of 3/8" fuel line last time. This setup hooked up to my battery charger works great for draining tanks.

Just make all power connections before plugging it in. AND... I would highly recommend hooking the power to a switch. you do not want ANY sparks !!!!! It can get ugly very quick.

Please don't pull up threads that are old, and respond on them. The original poster hasn't posted in over 3 years. So, you won't get a response.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back