2002-04 Utopia Dash - Adding Gauges

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

Murph_13

Last year I pulled the port side dash on my Utopia and painted it a darker grey...the original color looked too much like primer to me and the starboard side needed to be repainted so I thought I'd change the color. This year it was time for the starboard dash to come out and get painted and I decided to add two gauges to the empty gauge pockets on the dash. I found that VDO made the Utopia gauges for Bombardier, they're the Cockpit Royale Series gauges from VDO. I would have added a Mercury Smartcraft gauge if my boat was "smart" enough (have to have the 555 ECM for Smartcraft gauges)...but it isn't...so this was the next best thing to me. Here are the pics of the project:

Attachments

• Utopia Dash_05.jpg
    Utopia Dash_05.jpg
    956.9 KB · Views: 181
  • Utopia Dash_04.jpg
    Utopia Dash_04.jpg
    606.9 KB · Views: 186
  • Utopia Dash_03.jpg
    Utopia Dash_03.jpg
    623.8 KB · Views: 177
  • Utopia Dash_02.jpg
    Utopia Dash_02.jpg
    811.7 KB · Views: 195
  • Utopia Dash_01.jpg
    Utopia Dash_01.jpg
    506.9 KB · Views: 200
If anyone is interested in these gauges the part numbers are:

VDO Water Temperature Gauge – P/N 310-710
VDO Temperature Sending Unit – P/N 323-477
VDO Voltmeter – P/N 332-702

I got both gauges from Amazon.com to the house for just under $65 and got the sending unit off eBay for $12 to the house.

And the remaining pics:

Attachments

• Utopia Dash_06.jpg
    Utopia Dash_06.jpg
    792.9 KB · Views: 186
  • Utopia Dash_07.jpg
    Utopia Dash_07.jpg
    861 KB · Views: 162
  • Utopia Dash_08.jpg
    Utopia Dash_08.jpg
    770.4 KB · Views: 158
If anyone is interested in these gauges the part numbers are:

VDO Water Temperature Gauge – P/N 310-710
VDO Temperature Sending Unit – P/N 323-477
VDO Voltmeter – P/N 332-702

I got both gauges from Amazon.com to the house for just under $65 and got the sending unit off eBay for $12 to the house.

And the remaining pics:

Thanks for this info, I have been looking for gauages that will work in the dash. Where/how did you connect the temp sending unit?

Eddie

Thanks guys!

Eddie,

I put the sending unit in the line between the port side cylinder head and the transom outlet. I had originally thought about putting it in the line that runs from the starboard side head to the port side head, but thought that having it in the line going out was a better place since it's a combined outlet for both heads. After having it in for a few weeks now I am a little surprised at how low of an operating temperature these Mercs run at (assuming the gauge to be correct), I'm seeing operating temperatures of 100-110*F. I guess I thought going in that the operating temp would be low 100s with cold lake water always going through the motor, but I'm usually running right around 100*F which is basically the first increment on the gauge. Unfortunately I didn't see a temp gauge with a lower range, but if the high temp warning comes on around 200*F (not sure on this spec) I should see the rise in temp long before then.

I used a 3/8 FIP Tee with two 3/8 MIP to 3/8 barb fittings and a 3/8 MIP to 1/4 FIP bushing for the sending unit (all the brass fittings cost more than the sending unit...lol). I got all the brass fittings at Home Depot.

All-in-all I'm pretty happy with the gauges and I think it looks nice with all the gauge pods full.

Thanks guys!

Eddie,

I put the sending unit in the line between the port side cylinder head and the transom outlet. I had originally thought about putting it in the line that runs from the starboard side head to the port side head, but thought that having it in the line going out was a better place since it's a combined outlet for both heads. After having it in for a few weeks now I am a little surprised at how low of an operating temperature these Mercs run at (assuming the gauge to be correct), I'm seeing operating temperatures of 100-110*F. I guess I thought going in that the operating temp would be low 100s with cold lake water always going through the motor, but I'm usually running right around 100*F which is basically the first increment on the gauge. Unfortunately I didn't see a temp gauge with a lower range, but if the high temp warning comes on around 200*F (not sure on this spec) I should see the rise in temp long before then.

I used a 3/8 FIP Tee with two 3/8 MIP to 3/8 barb fittings and a 3/8 MIP to 1/4 FIP bushing for the sending unit (all the brass fittings cost more than the sending unit...lol). I got all the brass fittings at Home Depot.

All-in-all I'm pretty happy with the gauges and I think it looks nice with all the gauge pods full.

Thanks for the update. I also think that the gauges look great and they fill out the console. I am lucky in that my engine was smart enough for the smartcraft system monitor, but I like the full look of your console and with the smartcraft I have to scroll through the different readings, the gauges would be a nice quick look down. As a reference, I have the 240EFI in my 205 Utopia and even in the keys this summer it ran between 109 and 111. When I would slow down and idle it rises up to 120-122, when my intake got clogged with seaweed it ran up to 114-118. Durning the fall months here in Tampa the readings are just a bit lower, so for what it is worth your readings are consistent with the smart stuff.:hurray:

Eddie

Eddie,

Thanks for the feedback on the temps you've seen, I was wondering about the accuracy. I did see mine go up to 120-125 after the intake got clogged with weeds in a shallow channel and I had waited for deeper water to clear them.

I'd love to get my boat out in the keys...that water is absolutely beautiful down there!

Todd

I just duplicated this setup. Thanks for the idea Murph! I painted my dash blue instead of grey. I'll try to post some pictures.

No problem! I like the setup myself, looks nice and it's functional...if you get the chance post those pics.

thats a great price just picked me up one i needed a new tac mines never worked but i have a smart monitor i used to replace the spedo but for this price ill take the tac do u have links to those other gauges?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back