2001Utopia 185doesnt go full throttle

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

pschoepke

I have a 2001 Utopia 185 with Mercury M2 210 hp (carburetor version). Used to go 50 mph, but started missing intermittently at high speeds a few weeks ago. Got worse and worse until now it won't go above 40 - rpms are down too. Starts and runs fine up to about 3/4 throttle - when I full throttle I hear what sounds like the engine getting more air but no increase in power - almost like running on 5 of 6 cylinders. Also won't accelerate well - misses and coughs on fast acceleration, but OK when increase slowly. Replaced fuel filter, sparks, and dealer cleaned carbs to no avail. Thinking it could be a fuel delivery problem? Any hints on what it might be and how I diagnose? Again, starts and runs fine except when accelerate quickly or run at full throttle - just doesn't have power and feels like it's missing. Thank you!

I would start with a compression check. (just to make sure the engine is healthy)

Since you say it feels like a miss... I would verify that all the coils are firing. If you have a dead one... the top RPM's will be low.

After that... I would say the carbs need to come back off. But... while you are looking at the coils... make sure that all the carbs are opening, and that there aren't any hoses that fell off. (causing a lean run)

Thanks for the help. Dealer did compression check and it was fine - also rebuilt fuel pump. Said ran fine at idle, but couldn't do a water test. I will have coils checked out. Should I even bother at looking at fuel delivery prior to the fuel filter given that the fuel pump checks fine and there's a new filter? I've read a few blogs that point to blockages in fuel tank/hoses.

Epilogue - you were right about the coils. Turns out the high speed wires in the stator were bad. Once replaced, boat worked great! Thanks for the help.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back