2001 Yamaha XL 700

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

rsatina2002

I bought a 2001 Yamaha XL 700 PWC, and it was not running for 4 years, and yesterday was able to change the plugs, and put fresh fuel and put yamaha fuel stabilizer in the fuel tank and engine fired up, but bogging, and check the compression on first cylinder was 70 PSI, rear second cylinder was 150 PSI. It was running but sound like a bogging engine and noted a black discharge from the intake grate, water was applied when I run for 5 minutes and noted a black fluid coming out from front side of intake grate and smells like oil and fuel. Any input on what's the problem with PWC, is it the carb needs rebuild or the engine itself needs rebuilt, I'm not sure what gasket to check for leaking oil and I did change to new oil and old oil was empty from the tank. So experts with PWC, please help me, I know there is a yamaha certified mechanics here in my place but i want to do it myself since this forum helps me to run my own 2002 Sea Doo challenger 2000 when the mechanic can't even fix it. Experts please help. Thanks.

Last edited:
150 psi is perfect for that engine (701) so with one at 70 psi something is major wrong. I would test again to be sure and if still 70 pull the head and check before spending a dime on it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back