2001 Utopia

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

Powerlock53

I recently got a 2001 Utopia for very short money. Had it looked at by a boat mechanic (who hates jet boats but he’s the only one who would look at it) and he tells me that the “L Drive” or “jet pump assembly” that transfers energy from vertical to horizontal is blown. Should I give up on the boat or is this worth still pursuing? Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks

Never heard of that happening.............

Drain the oil in the gearbox and look for chips/chunks/shiny flakes in the oil.
Even that is repairable. I know where there is a new, complete pump unit. But they want a lot for it.

How is the rest of the boat?

Never heard of that happening.............

Drain the oil in the gearbox and look for chips/chunks/shiny flakes in the oil.
Even that is repairable. I know where there is a new, complete pump unit. But they want a lot for it.

How is the rest of the boat?

He drew that conclusion by moving the flywheel back and forth, and it would get jammed up instead of moving freely. Could that be something else? He’s a smart guy but mainly works on outboards.. thanks

I wonder...
Was he smart enough to look into the pump intake and the nozzle? Maybe a rock or stick in there. May need to pull the stator off. (STATOR, not starter.)

The only other thing I think of is the starter engaging the flywheel as he turned it. But he should have seen that. But not if the flywheel cover was not removed.

Check the oil. Absolutely definitive.

He said there was some 2” stones in the impeller. Would that cause the flywheel to move a few inches but not stick? Thanks Tim.. much appreciated. I’ll check the oil

2 inch stones???? How did they get past the grate? It is supposed to keep out logs and boulders. Stones could jam between the impeller and stator.

Yes, a 2 inch stone could certainly cause your problem.

Last edited:
No obvious obstructions on the impeller. Got my hand in there and didn’t feel anything. Could get it to move about as much as the flywheel.. maybe 1/2”. Pretty sure that means it’s toast [emoji35]

Can’t get the screw turned to drain the oil and check for metal.. getting some penetrating oil and will try again in a while

Can’t get the screw turned to drain the oil and check for metal.. getting some penetrating oil and will try again in a while

Not sure pen. oil will help because there is a gasket between the threads and the outside world. Blocks the oil.

Biggest screwdriver that will fit the screw slot. Vise grips on the shank.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back