2001 Utopia 240 EFI Merc stalling

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

mdchachi

Hi all.

Having stalling issues after trying to run the boat first time this year.
I'm minimally handy but I should be able to replace fuel filters and the like.
Background:
- two years ago I ran the boat only about 10-15 hours or so and I garaged it without proper winterizing.
- last summer I pulled it out and it ran/great fine. Probably no more than 20 hours.
- so I tempted fate again and parked it without winterizing except for battery tender
- this year I got it ready to go out, started it in my garage and ran it for about 5 seconds or so and it sounded fine
- topped up the tank with gas (it was probably about half full) and took it to the lake, it started up and I was able to idle out from the dock for maybe 30 seconds or so. When I started to give it more throttle, it stalled. I tried starting it again and it started right up but stalled after 2-5 seconds. Did that about 5 more times before giving up and paddling back to the dock and taking it home.
- a couple weeks later I hooked a hose up to it in my driveway and tried starting again with the same result. (video here:
)

Could it be water in the fuel from not winterizing properly? Should I try to pull off the water-separating fuel filter to see if there's water in there?
Please tell me the likely issue and next steps to try.

Thank you!

Sounds like low fuel pressure. There's a valve on the vapor tank. (looks like a tire valve stem) Should be 36 psi.

Thank you for your reply. This is the "vapor separator tank" right? I can check the pressure with a regular tire gauge? Is it supposed to be pressurized all the time or only during cranking?

Looks like your picture isn't loading. Yes.. you can check it with a tire gauge. Just put on safety glasses so you don't get fuel in your eyes. That's the fuel to pressurize the injectors... so you need the pressure all Key on, and while running.

But if you suspect bad fuel... you may want to drain the tank. If your beepers are working... there is a water in fuel alarm. So, if that was the problem... it should be telling you.

Hi all.

Having stalling issues after trying to run the boat first time this year.
I'm minimally handy but I should be able to replace fuel filters and the like.
Background:
- two years ago I ran the boat only about 10-15 hours or so and I garaged it without proper winterizing.
- last summer I pulled it out and it ran/great fine. Probably no more than 20 hours.
- so I tempted fate again and parked it without winterizing except for battery tender
- this year I got it ready to go out, started it in my garage and ran it for about 5 seconds or so and it sounded fine
- topped up the tank with gas (it was probably about half full) and took it to the lake, it started up and I was able to idle out from the dock for maybe 30 seconds or so. When I started to give it more throttle, it stalled. I tried starting it again and it started right up but stalled after 2-5 seconds. Did that about 5 more times before giving up and paddling back to the dock and taking it home.
- a couple weeks later I hooked a hose up to it in my driveway and tried starting again with the same result. (video here:
)

Could it be water in the fuel from not winterizing properly? Should I try to pull off the water-separating fuel filter to see if there's water in there?
Please tell me the likely issue and next steps to try.

Thank you!

You’re in a good spot if Dr. Honda is on your thread, but for what it’s worth, I just had an issue that gave me the same issues as you posted, turned out to be water in the fuel tank.

See if you can draw some fuel from the bottom of your tank, water will settle at the bottom of whatever you drain it to if it is in there.

Draining/replacing your water separating filter as you suggested would be good to try also

The pressure was indeed low, it was measuring under 20 psi. At that point I decided it was beyond my skill & available time level so I took it in to the shop. They said it was zero PSI when they checked and determined that a new fuel pump was needed. Running great now. However this chain of events also led me to take a look in the showroom and I ended up with a 2018 AR195 Yamaha (and associated debt to go with it). Sale is pending on the Utopia. So thanks to everyone here who helped out a first-time boat owner, especially Dr Honda. Had a good four years with the SeaDoo and learned a lot.

Congrats. I'm a fan of Yamaha... just can't get myself to write the check for a new one yet. Post some pics if you get a chance.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back