2001 Speedster 240 Merc EFI Opinions

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

lilngineer

Hi-

We are looking to sell our 96 Challenger and upgrade to a '01 16' Speedster with the Mercruiser M2 in it. Can you guys please give me some honest opinions of the boat? Also what are the known trouble spots?

I am thinking it would be a plus to have the Merc over the Rotax, but please enlighten me if I am wrong.

Thanks!

I am also curious about this also. There is one here locally that's cheap and was thinking about upgrading from my 98 speedster to the 01 with the v-6 in it.

I've owned a 2004 islandia with the 250 Optimax motor for almost 1 year. Boat had 90 hours total when purchased. Used a lot this summer. It has run like a top. After reading this board and the shop manual, I changed plugs, fuel filter, and air compressor filter as well as gear box oil. Stator oil was replaced last June when previous owner replaced wear ring and impellar. I also replaced the alternator belt as the original was worn out. Took me all of 3 minutes and $35 dollars (for the belt). This engine's preventive manintenance seems easy compared to an I/O and I was able to do it myself.

There are more experienced Mercury owners who frequent this board often. Search for Rookie 101 and WAjetboating posts and you will find a wealth of info as they have answered many other members questions.

Oh boy, here we go! You're likely to get strong opinions on both sides.

I own both Rotax and Mercury engined craft so I can speak with experience on both. Here's the short version:

* The Mercury is more reliable and less likely to break, easier to maintain, and costs more to repair.

* The Rotax is less reliable and more likely to break, takes longer and costs more to maintain, and costs less to repair.

Here are the reasons:

* Reliability is primarily driven by how "close to the edge" the engines are run. BRP/Rotax is amazing at extracting the last ounce of performance from a given size engine, but their engines are always running near the limit and that takes its toll on things. Mercury (at least in these V6 2.5L powerplants) runs things more conservatively and therefore things aren't as stressed. Both approaches have their benefits and their supporters and their detractors. Choose which one is more important to YOU.

* Regular maintenance is less costly and time consuming on the Mercury simply because you don't have to do it as often. Annual maintenance is 2-3 hours in your driveway using standard tools and under $100 in parts and chemicals. In contrast, while I'm almost freakishly mental about maintaining my engines I seem to always be troubleshooting and/or replacing something on the Rotaxes. This includes both mechanical and electrical parts. This has led to a standard joke from my wife: "What's wrong with the Rotax THIS time?"

* When something does go wrong, the Mercury parts will cost more. The Rotax engines have a huge aftermarket industry making parts for them. Mercury has some of that, but it's not nearly as big. This may be because more repair parts are NEEDED for Rotax engines vs. Mercury engines, who knows.

Regarding a couple of rumors propagated by the anti-Mercury crowd:

* Mercury has not "orphaned" or "abandoned" the SportJet engines. They are the same exact V6 2.5L powerblock used in countless Mercury outboard engines. All the same tools, training, tests, etc. work on them. If you can find a Mercury shop (and they are far more common than Rotax shops), you've just found a shop that can work on your engine.

* Parts are readily available for the Mercury engines. Since the engines are common to outboards, the parts are often stocked by local Mercury shops on the shelf. Any Mercury dealer can also order parts for you straight from the factory. There are many online sources from whom you can order. And there is a small but solid aftermarket industry for Mercury engines too.

I don't sell anything for either engine. I don't work in the industry. I have nothing to gain regardless of your decision. But I DO own both engine types, I do all of my own maintenance, and I can speak from experience on both. The bottom line is that both are fine choices and your decision should be based on your needs and desires, not on what others try to convince you.

Hope this helps, feel free to ask questions!

Merc = YES!

I Preffered the Merc and bought the boat based on that reason.

1) Merc #1 in MARINE power.
Mercury Marine has been doing it longer than anyone with best results.
2) Quieter running
3) Less smoke - less injector oil consumption.
4) Better Fuel Economy (Compared to Rotax)
5) Can leave boat in water with no worries.
(Rotax may have Leaky carbon seal = boat sinking)
6) No winterization required -self draining cooling system
7) Low RPM for 2 stroke - will last long.......

If you were buying an outboard would you second guess Mercury?
Same deal only drive is different. (and well built)

Regards,
Adam

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back