2001 seadoo xp starts, drives well, then dies. HELP!

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

standbybrad

Any help i can get is appreciated. Machine starts up great. Takes off strong. I can ride for a few minutes and then it stalls out. If i try to restart it will fire a few times, and some times start for a second, but then nothing. If the machine sits for a while i can start it up again. The longer it sits, the longer it lasts when it is started again.

I have already,

Swapped MPEM's
Swapped coils
Swapped temperature sensors
cleaned fuel filter

What is it that may needs to cool down? Doest work when its warm?

Thanks!

No one lol?

Of the items that you swapped, did they come from a good KNOWN ski? Or something you had as a spare and don't really know if they are good?

It does sound like something is getting hot and then not working. Is the ski carbed? If so, does it have Grey Tempo lines? I think not, I believe they stopped prior to 200 but don't honestly know that.

Hey thanks for the reply!
Everything was swapped off of my 2002 model xp which is in good order. Yes grey fuel lines. I was ignoring this at first because it seemed like and electrical issue, but I am gonna pull the carbs and heck the plug filters. My fuel filer had rubber debris in it. Could it be starving for gas?

When it stalls and you try to restart is the motor turning over or not? I'm wondering if maybe you are experiencing a lean seize. Rubber particles in the fuel filter is not good. I would suggest going through the entire fuel system. Replace any gray lines that carry fuel. Make sure the fuel selector is clean as well. Once you do all that check compression and if that is where it should be start her up and see what ya got.

No matter what issue you may have, you MUST change the fuel lines, fuel selector, and do a MAJOR carb cleaning including the plastic internal filters.If you are limiting the amount of fuel getting to the engine guess what else isn't getting to it, oil... You create a lean burn situation which means you are also "leaning" the oil. Lean burn will kill the engine.

I would wager this is fuel related. It's not getting enough.

FYI: you do NOT need to remove the pipe to remove the carbs.

DO NOT REMOVE THE LARGE BLACK PIPE.

it will be a waste of time, effort, and it's not easy to put back on correctly.

Okay here is an update.

I took the carbs out (thank you for the exhaust pipe advice sabr) . the carbs are super clean inside. the little filters needed to be cleaned, they had build up. i also replaced the fuel line to the carb and bypassed the fuel selector switch completely. The problem is still there. Runs for 3 minutes then dies. fires a bit and runs for a couple seconds then stalls out. Then it wont run unless i leave and come back later...

We used to have some of the old Kawasaki 550's that would do the same thing and it would always be the stator coils. Since you have a known good donor you could try swapping them. I think they are attached to the MAG cover like the 787?

i'll have a look at that. If it was stator coils would it run the battery dead? because is still have battery power to keep cranking the starter after it shuts off

Update...
When it dies it loses spark. Im going to replace the stator and the pickup. Anyone have a good used set for sale?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back