2001 Sea Doo LRV-4 PASSENGER

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

946er

Hey there, was wondering if anyone has experience with the 2001 Sea-Doo LRV PWC. My neighbor is selling his with the trailer (galvinized frame), and the sea doo cover. He's owned it since new and its spent most of it's time in fresh water with a few sea water trips. Everything looks to be in good shape on it, (no tears in seat, decals not faded, no apparent fluid leaks, etc). The PWC has sat for 4-5yrs without being run, and the guy wants to sell. See pics.

My question is, these seem to be a limited production model (not many 4 seaters around anymore) which could mean parts are hard to find=expensive repairs? Does that also mean it is "rare" and worth more $$ ? Is this model a lemon? What sort of mechanical issues do they have? Is it worth buying or move on to looking at a different model? How stable is it in rough water?

My family is 4 (wife me and 2 young kids), and was wanting to get a PWC that is easy for the wife to put in/out of the lake, can tow the kids on a tube, waterski, wakeboard, etc. Being it's a 4 seater i'm hoping we can all pile onto it and take it out for a few hours to tour the lake.

Of course the other obvious question...what's this thing worth? He says he wants $5K which includes the trailer, and cover. Before I give him any $$ tho, I told him i want the local BRP dealer to inspect it and see what may be wrong with it after sitting for so long.

Any info you guys (and gals) can provide would be much appreciated. Warm weather will be here soon, and can't wait to hit the lake!

Attachments

• seadoo1.jpg
    seadoo1.jpg
    319.7 KB · Views: 85
  • seadoo2.jpg
    seadoo2.jpg
    271.8 KB · Views: 82
The LRV is like the Station Wagon of ski's. Unless you are really in love with this I would think a boat would better suit your needs.

That's just my opinion.

Lou

The 4 seat ski's are a love-hate kind of ski. A lot of people thought they were the dumbest thing ever made... but the people who have them, and like them, wont' give them up. And... because of that, they are coveted, and hard to come by. Funny though... they didn't sell very well... but once they stopped making them... people wanted them.

Yamaha, Seadoo, and Polaris (SUV, LRV, Genesis) all made a 4 seat ski. They ran from 99 to about 2004. The LRV came out in 2000. The LRV also had the most storage, and had that HUGE sun deck... making it more of a boat that the others. The Polaris Genesis, was the smallest.

Generally, when you come across a 4 passenger ski... they are totally beat... or WAY over priced. (because they are limited) So... if you can get it for a good price... grab it.

I personally, have a Genesis... and I wouldn't give it up. I love having a monster 13' ski. When I'm out by myself... it holds all my gear, and I don't have to worry falling off, if I want to move around. AND... with the extra length... it rides nice and smooth, when the rivers around Pittsburgh get rough.

Since you are up in Canada... I'd say $5k is probably an OK price. I see them go for $4k here in the states. But... for his asking price... is he giving you any goodies? (like jackets, anchor, ropes, water toys, etc) Also... how many hours are on the engine. The 951 engine from seadoo is a good engine... but it's not known for a super long life. (it makes a lot of power for its size) A well maintained 951 is good for around 200 hrs. 250 hr's max if it didn't run full RPM all the time. SO... If the time is up there... that should reflect on the price.

OK... a sitting engine is probably the worst thing ever. If it was kept in a clean garage... and there are no signs of rust in the engine compartment... you will probably be OK. But... if there is rust externally... you will have to assume that there is rust inside. Because of that... I would say that the deal should be contingent on a clean bill of health. regardless... even if everything checks out... you will need to put a little love into before you can safely ride it. The fuel and oil should be drained, and replaced. The oil system needs serviced. (small hoses and filter changed) And then the jet pump will need checked/serviced.

With that all said... you could probably find a clean seadoo 14.5' boat for less money. (it will still be a 4 passenger "ski")

Personally.. I'd offer him $3500 and see what he says. If he's firm on the $5k... and he's a good neighbor... I may pass on it. Paying "Prime" $$$ for a ski that needs some love could cause problems down the road. OR... make him take it to a dealer, and have all the servicing done, and have them check the time, and compression.

Last edited by a moderator:
I agree that it's a love it or hate it. I personally don't like them. A buddy in FL bought one this past Nov in good shape with trailer and I think about 60 hours for less than $2500. He bought it because it's really stable, which I have to agree with, and it works great for him. I've see them advertised in the Buffalo & Rochester NY areas for about $4000. Don't know if they ever sold them or if they did what they got. If you're looking for something for the family you might want to consider a boat. I know in my area you can pick up a 18' - 19' used boat for less than what your neighbor is asking for his ski. My $.02

i agree with the posters above, that price seems high (mainly because of 4 years of no use, in a cold weather area = not good for a ski)

but they are interesting ski's, they are HUGE !

I'm thinking your neighbor needs to discount that to about 4K or lower at the most, and as a buyer, i'd still be hesitant, and i'd prefer a water test and maybe peeking at the piston's cyl walls before committing.

delete, double post..

but since i'm here, i'd tend to lean towards dugouts suggestion, a small boat for the same price vs a large jet ski for a family of 4.

At that price (and I know prices in CA are high) I would just get a boat. Those regularly sell for 3k in my area, and were on the high end of the US on prices.

If you needed a seat or a control cable or an exhaust tube they might be hard to find...but most of the internals are the same as any other 951.

So here it is, 2014 and I still have my original SeaDoo LRV 2000 only it does have a new engine. The old one finally lost its bearings (literally). It looks as good today as it did when I bought it, since I keep it covered all the time.

I would agree with the earlier comments, it is a joy to own, very stable and comfortable even in rougher seas. Only I would not want a boat, because most boats don't go 65! I added an after market impeller, ring and intake, and I got about 9MPH improvement. This bugger with a single rider hits 63-64 MPH. Plus when riding with a friend, there is room for a few ladies as well :)

If I was to sell it I would ask $5000.00 since it is running like new and looks that way as well. Plus a good galvanized trailer dosent come cheap!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back