2001 Merc 240 EFI smokes horrible on cold start-up

Note: This site contains eBay affiliate links for which SeaDooForum.com may be compensated
Status
Not open for further replies.

shopower

I have a 2002 Seadoo Utopia 205 that smokes brutally when cold to the point that it's embarrassing. So far all I have tried is changing the port side temperature sensor (as per Sticky) and it made no difference.

My engine PN: 824003A0
Family: 1M9XM02.53CE
NOV 2001

I am looking for some help on how to diagnose the issue and where to go next? I have heard TPS and/or Fuel Injector could also contribute to this issue. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

I am going to check the fuel pressure using a gauge on the schrader valve tomorrow....should be 36 PSI with the key on

Last edited:
you need to check fuel pressure with engine running, my pressure was correct with key on, but jumped up 10 lbs when engine started.

Amount of smoke is dependent on several factors.

Oil pump: is it delivering the proper amount of oil for the throttle position?

Injectors: Is one or more leaking (spraying continuously). Do they have the proper spray pattern? Is the pressure correct (putting out too much gas)?

Type/brand of oil. Some are known to smoke more than others.

Engine compression: Is it properly high enough to generate the heat required to burn the oil?

I suspect injector issues based on the sound from your video. Engine sounds a little rough, then smooths out with increased RPM.

I checked the fuel pressure with key on and it was fine...next is to check with it running at idle

How would I diagnose a bad injector? They are the original injectors..... Is there an online retailer that has them at a fair price ?

I am running Mercury Premium Plus Outboard Oil 2-cycle Plus Synthetic Blend
15879081267814232873142895849328.jpg

I would have the injectors cleaned before blowing a wade of cash on new ones. Replace the ones that the tech cleaning them say are bad-bad.

I checked the fuel pressure with key on and it was fine...next is to check with it running at idle

How would I diagnose a bad injector? They are the original injectors..... Is there an online retailer that has them at a fair price ?

I am running Mercury Premium Plus Outboard Oil 2-cycle Plus Synthetic Blend
View attachment 47544

Injector Service--best service I ever did for my engine. Not fun to get them out, but worth the effort. Better rpm, less fuel, less smoke. About $25 each. Mine needed to be opened and cleaned. So much better now.

I also had bad fuel pressure regulator. 85 psi I stead of 36.

Merc wants $750 set. Ebay much less for Acura 3.5L. They don`t frequently actually fail.

Forget fuel system cleaners. They can dilute the oil so much that you don't have any.

Oil pump arm should be at 9:00 at idle.

What does the Injector-Service consist of ?? do they have to be flow tested.... does it require a special type of machine to clean them?? Can a marina do this ?

Where could I get some instructions on how to remove them ?

What does the Injector-Service consist of ?? do they have to be flow tested.... does it require a special type of machine to clean them?? Can a marina do this ?

Where could I get some instructions on how to remove them ?

The service manual for your year motor will tell you how to remove the injectors. There is a machine that auto shops use to flow test and ultrasonic clean them. There's nothing special about these injectors so any auto mechanic that has a machine should be able to clean them. And at least in my neck of the woods I'd be surprised if a boat marina had one.

I doubt a marina has the flow bench. They prefer new parts.

Back to the tps- Cheaper to have the injectors serviced. The tps is about $550. No idea what that would be in Ca. There are specific tests in the service book and on these threads on how to check it. It works with the computer to trim fuel mix up to about 3/4 throttle.

If you are looking for a Merc dealer to do the work, you won't find one. Merc & SeaDoo had a falling out about 2006.

When I changed the port side temperature sensor (as per Sticky) does it matter which wire goes to which side of the sensor ? I may have them reversed..... if so would that matter ? I don't see any clear designations on the wires.

Injector Service--best service I ever did for my engine. Not fun to get them out, but worth the effort. Better rpm, less fuel, less smoke. About $25 each. Mine needed to be opened and cleaned. So much better now.

I also had bad fuel pressure regulator. 85 psi I stead of 36.

Merc wants $750 set. Ebay much less for Acura 3.5L. They don`t frequently actually fail.

Forget fuel system cleaners. They can dilute the oil so much that you don't have any.

Oil pump arm should be at 9:00 at idle.

I disagree with your comment on the fuel system cleaner diluting the oil. If you have oil injection, why would it dilute the oil as the fuel system cleaner is mixed with the fuel, not the oil? Even if you pre-mix, why would it dilute the oil if you are using proper ratios? I think there can be great benefits had in adding a couple of bottles of Sea Foam or similar to a tank of fuel.

Follow the hoses. One oil hose goes into the vst. Gas and whatever is mixed with it also goes into the vst. Gas and oil and whatever else are mixed in the vst, then into the injectors into the crankcase.

No seafoam in MY engine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back